What is the right age for your child or tween to start wearing contacts?

Do any of your kids or teens wear contacts? What age did they start? My daughter wears glasses and hates them. She has been taking them off in school, because she hates them so much, especially now with the summer heat.

She has a classmate who wears contacts, and she is her age, age 10.

What is the right age where they could start?

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I was 12 when I started wearing them. I used to work for an optometrist and one of my responsibilities was teaching new contact wearers to put their contacts in. The younger a child was, generally the harder time they had learning to use them - and some of the younger ones gave up and ended up never using them. My daughter is 8 and there is no way I would let her get contacts right now!

Answer by missanc at 5:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I was eight! I did fine! I guess only you can know how responsible they are!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I was 10 when I got them. I still wear them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I have always wore glasses, I tried contacts a few times and always ended up with infections. But I can understand her hating wearing them! I wouldn't see any reason not to get them for her - however it's important that you teach her how to care for them. I would also suggest she starts them through a vacation from school. Because if her eyes are like mine, it won't mater how good of care she takes, she could end up with issues anyways...

Good luck.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Thanks for your advice so far, I just though 10 was so young, but you are right, as long as she cares for them. I wear contacts myself, and can teach her how to properly care for them. She has a very low self-esteem issue now because of her glasses.
    WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• We didn't let our children get them until we were satisfied they were responsible enough to take care of them themselves. It was a different age for each of them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• As long as her optomostrist okays it, there is no real age limit to wearing contacts. As long as they're able to care for them yourself, apply them themselves, etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My son is 10 and is supposed to wear glasses but as you see..I said "supposed to wear". He keeps "losing" them. But I wouldn't give him contacts just because in his case I think that would be an infection waiting to happen with his grubby little fingers,lol. I would think that it would depend on the individual child, how well you think she could handle the responsibility of contacts. Talk to the eye doctor and see what they recommend would be your best bet.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I was 11 when I started wearing contacts, I agree with the other moms its about taking proper care of them and mastering putting them on/off.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It is all on the child. Some children are responsible enough at a young age to wash their hands before putting in the contacts and for keeping the contacts clean.
    Look at the weekly contacts where you wear then during the day, soak them at night and trash them at the end of the week.
    My older boys were in middle school when they asked to wear contacts. My youngest son tried on a pair at around age 10 and just decided he wasn't ready for them. He's ready now at almost 13.
    At age 10, if she's asking - I'd work on getting them for her.
    Oddly enough in my family, my daughter doesn't wear glasses and I wear them only at night when my eyes are tired.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2010