question about cigarette smoke... please no bashing

My daughter is seven months old. I do not smoke but my mother does. She doesn't smoke around her (everytime we are there she smokes outside). I work out of her house and love my job because I can take my daughter and still spend time with her. I've be back to work since she was a month and a half old. I keep a playpen in the front room for her. The problem is that she smokes in the house when I'm not there (which she has a right to, its her own house) but lately I've started to notice yellow tint on the playpen and the strap to the changing table and stuff which I'm pretty sure is nicotine. How bad is it for my daughter to be there when I'm working if she isn't smoking in the house? Is it really bad for her to be in the playpen? I would hate to quit because I need the money and this is a great job and I love b eing with my mom and daughter everyday. I also cannot find a sitter for her everyday and I would hate to put her in..

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Daycare but obviously her health is more important to me. I want to know about the harmful affects and any advice please.
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I would transport the playpen with you rather than leave it at her house. I don't know what effects it has on your daughter, but it can't be good. As for a changing table...nix it....just change her on a blanket on the floor or on the couch on a blanket.
    Anonymous

• well that yellow tint is nicotine and if she touches it and then puts her hand in her mouth, she will be injesting it. How about putting all the stuff in another room where your mom doesn't smoke before you leave every day or you need to start wiping it all down.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It is just like the child is smoking they say, also can cause ashma-when I stopped smoking in my home, my daughter has been good and rarely gets ashma, or a nasty cough. Smoking is not good, although I smoke outside the home again. I will quit again-hopefully and stay away from it. Now there are so many chemicals lord only knows what else can happen.

It is tough.

Good luck!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• well, unless your DD is in a bubble, she is still being exposed to smoke, since I'm assuming your mom smokes in the house when she is not there, and I'm assuming your mom doesn't change her clothes every time she comes in from a smoke when DD is there, so she is breathing it off your mom's clothes
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I read somewhere that smoke on your clothes and items, the nicotine and tars etc stick to them and it can be as unhealthy as the smoke itself. I believe its called third hand smoke. I read it in 2 different parenting magazines. I would look into it to answer your question...Good luck :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My moms house is just yellow from all the smoking they do over there. It smells like smoke..you walk in to a cloud of smoke,lol. It drives me nuts and we really don't go over there very often because of that very reason.
    I agree with other posters...stick the playpen in your car every day when your done. That should help. Good Luck. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• The yellow stains are from the ciggerette smoke. The smoke lingers in the room and though it is not as harmfull as if you, yourself were to smoke, it can be damaging to the lungs. The same properties in the ciggerette linger in the smoke in the air.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I know you love your mom.and she loves her grandbaby but me personally, I couldn't keep taking the baby to a house that they smoke inside.Maybe your mom can come to your house, and she could smoke outside?I would be honest with your mother.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I smoke but not inside, your child did not choose to smoke, so she shouldt have to!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2010