Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I had a lot of problems during and after delivery with my first child. Long story short I had to deliver via c-section because of his heart rate dropping and had to be put to sleep during it due to the spinal not numbing me and I couldn't stand up for days after having the baby because of the spinal tap and still have pain where it was. I am pregnant again and after a long debate between v-bac (which i would want no meds) or c-section we have decided to go ahead with the c-section this time around for the baby's sake. Now my options are to have a spinal or be put to sleep I am leaning towards being put to sleep because I do not want to go through all that pain again. Is there any other options for me, and have any of you been put to sleep during the c-section, how high are the risks?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Well, babies fare better when they are born vaginally. If YOU want to have the C-section for YOUR peace of mind, because you are afraid of having another experience like the last one, then that's a legitimate reason for choosing the repeat, and you shouldn't feel bad about it, but it's in the BABY'S best interest to go for VBAC, or at the very least for you to go into labor on your own before the surgery. Even a few contractions can mean the difference between a baby with respiratory distress syndrome and a baby who goes home with you.

    The risks are greater for general anesthesia than for spinal anesthesia. Greater for you and greater for the baby, but it's definately NOT a death sentence, and again, if you want to choose that for YOUR peace of mind then that's completely okay. Surgery is scary, and doubly scary after a previous experience like yours.

    good luck, mamma, you will make it through!

    Answer by Ati_13 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • Have you considered an epidural instead of a spinal for the c-section? I was given the option when I had mine.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • I can only speak from my expirience, that my second c section went a WHOLE LOT BETTER. I had the same situation as you, had to have a c section after being induced, heart rate dropped, all the rest of it.....I wonder if because it was a rushing type situation that they didn't do the spinal right?....
    Well....second c section was planned....I wasn't all tired because my body didn't have to be induced and struggle to try to dialate. I was well rested, a bit hungry, but other than that, everything went smoothly....I was able to hold my babies (twin boys) and I could even walk around with NO pain because of this stuff called duramorph (sp?) that they put in my spinal. It was a WONDERFUL expirience.
    What I would suggest is talking to the hospital where you plan to have your c section, about how much pain you were in last time, and ask them what they would suggest. I would talk to your OB as well and express the same concerns.

    Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • op - they did the spinal through the epidural if that makes a difference.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • I would go for the VBAC. It's SO much safer (despite common misconception) ultimately, and it's WAY healthier for the baby, especially if you go med-free.
    Being under general anesthesia has MAJOR risks, including death. Some people just don't respond well to it. You will also miss the first cry, and if you plan to breast feed, you face some challenges, because you have to wait to even see your baby, who will be groggy from the anesthesia, and this can interfere with establishing a good latch.
    Do some research online about VBACs, and look up the laws in your state. Have you talked to your doc/midwife about your options? Many docs won't do VBACs, because of their liability insurance (which doesn't like the .5% risk of your original incision tearing, even though the risks of surgery in general are higher).
    Do your homework, and make an informed decision. Personally, I plan to go for a VBAC.

    Answer by musicpisces at 8:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2010