what can i do for eczema? my son is 6 month and he has it bad...

tesfaye

Asked by tesfaye at 12:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Health

• The doctor prescribes cream, if you do apply it when the doctors tells you too. It should clear up in a while, then buy the lotion they recommend-it is for eczema. My daughter has it.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• The doc can give you Elidel and you can use Curel lotion, it helps a lot.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• i use aveeno wash and lotion on my baby and it helps him alot
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Their is a cream that Dr's can prescribe you. But my dd has Eczema and we found that EUCERINE cream from Walmart is wonderful.

Its real thick and stays on well. They also sell a walmart brand which is just as good and much cheaper.

Keep baths short and skip if not really needed....keep cream on daily or more if needed :)

Wintertime is worse too :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My son had it so bad that he would scratch till he bled.After 10 months of the pediatrition only giving him steroid cremes,I went with possible food allergies.I stopped giving him formula.And gave him acidopholous milk.His skin was normal and healthy after 2 weeks.the pedatrition will have a cow over stopping formula, all I know is that it worked.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Oh yes...and I also use Dove unscented to bath her in, it doesnt have any irritating perfumes or anything in it to worsen the eczema.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• He may have an allergy. That is the typical cause of eczema. Is he breastfed or formula fed? How long has he had it? Have you given him any other foods?
    I use california baby super sensitive baby wash and California baby calendula cream on my daughter. They work better than anything I have tried.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 1:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Elidel is very dangerous!

If you are breastfeeding, do not have any dairy.

Keep baths short, tepid and infrequent.

Put coconut oil on the afflicted areas.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• See your pedi. Besides creams and lotions, try Halo Technical Comfort clothing. It's made for babies with eczema and sensitive skin, to reduce itching and irritation and wick away moisture. You can get more info at www.halosleep.com
    smittendorff

Answer by smittendorff at 11:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Been there,done that. I have tried and researched everything for DD and here's what works:

Do NOT use any OTC creams or prescription stuff - they all have ingredients that are known to irritate skin; Elidel can cause cancer when used by infants/children.

Stay away from dairy, all products that contain petrochemicals, parabens, preservatives, fragrances, anything not natural. Opt for organic, chemical free products. Just cuz it's made for "baby" doesn't mean it's safe (i.e. baby oil is 100% mineral oil - ridiculous). You need to boost your baby's immune system. Coconut oil or evening primrose oil work great for flare-ups if skin gets itchy (both can even be ingested and help with the problem-our alternative doc has her take EPO and it works great). Keep baths short/not too warm. Most mainstream pediatricians are clueless about the subject, simply opting to prescribe useless creams that aggravate the problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2010