Is this a form of psychic ability? (from another post)

If you start thinking a lot about someone that you havent thought about in a long time and you can't stop thinking about them...after awhile they end up dying or some other form of misfortune happens to them?
Have you ever experienced that?
About 10 years ago, I looked at my dad and for no reason, the thought of cancer popped in my head and I could see him with cancer.I hated thinking that and tried to push the thought out of my head.About 5 years later, he was diagnosed with cancer. There have been other instances such as that too.

If this is a psychic ability, what would it be called and how would a person go about channeling it or keeping it at bay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It definitely happens to me a LOT. I've experienced this and later the persons have either past away, or had extreme misfortune. I have learned to understand this by first acknowledging that everything happens with reason. I control my thoughts about the person(s) by purposely ridding my mind of any negativity. I try to contact the person or someone close to them to see how they are doing. If I can I like to meet face to face. Whatever vibes I pick up I receive openly w/o judgement or logical thinking. My gut feeling is usually right and that isn't always a good thing. However I'm not really sure what to do after that. The path is completely yours to pick. You can either ignore it, or you can figure out your connection and how you may be able to help.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 1:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I think I'm the anon from the other post. I don't do anything. I just accept it. If I have contact information for the person I'll call and check in, if not I just send up a prayer for that person and their family. I don't know if it's psychic. I'm a Christian and believe that it may be God keeping his promise not to give me more than I can handle.
    Anonymous

• Do you think the person's misfortune is caused by you constantly dwelling on it? Like your mind is so strong that just by thinking about it all the time is what is causing it to happen in the first place?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• No,ihartu. I don't think that. I think that when something is about to happen like that...that for some reason a feeling comes over me and I can't stop thinking about that person. Like a premonition or something.
    Anonymous

• My sister does this and I guess you could call it a psychic ability. I see it as a sort of stronger sensitivity to the energies and events around you.... the things most people don't percieve. My sister says it is spirit guides communicating with you, but that's what she believes.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 1:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• psychic ability has a few different names pending on what type of ability it entails. Mediumship, etc etc etc.

However, I'm not sure how to channel it or keep it at bay. Again it depends on the level and type. I have the same situations. I'll have a day where I will just cry over someone for no reason, and the next day or a few hours later, I will get a call that they have passed.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I only aksed that because there ARE people out there who think that way. I'm with the others... it's premonition. Sometimes a person's name will pop into my head that I haven't seen in like 20 years or more, and then I watch the news later that day I see they've been arrested or killed. I kind of think we all have this ability- just some are more intune with it.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Oh I wanted to add that many people believe that meditation is a good way to advance this type of ability. Meditate by trying to keep your mind clear of all thought, this will open your mind up to more messages and make it more perceptive. You can keep it at bay by simply ignoring it or keeping your mind focused on the physical. Although I think certain people just have a certain sensitivity to it and it can be difficult to ignore.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 2:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• This is a psychic ability called precognition--or prior knowlege of an event.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 4:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2010