Is it weird that a 7 yr old still uses training wheels?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• O.M.G !
    Anonymous

• No. My sister is 9 1/2 and didn't take hers off until she was almost 8. It varies by child, just like everything else.
    I took my own off w/my dad's tools at 5, I took my brother's off when he was 6 and told him to deal (I wasn't really the nicest sister back then), but Dad put them back on and he had them until he was 8 or 9. It's different for everyone.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• No...the kid is being smart and careful. I worry about little kids that have no fear...they are the ones going to the emergency room all the time.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My 7 year old still does. My son learned at 8. Not weird, but it is on the old side, time to learn!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• gertie, you're right. I spent a lot of time as a kid in the er. :-) But I had fun until I ended up there. :-)
    Surprisingly, the only time I ever broke a bone was falling out of a tree when I was 16.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Every child develops differently and learns at a different pace. I have 2 daughters, and my first daughter just learned to ride her bike w/o training wheels a few months ago, which was just a few months before her 9th birthday. My younger daughter learned in about 2 days flat, at the age of 5 and was wheeling around crazy, like a big kid. They're just all different. Do what you can to encourage her and address any fears she may have, but other than that, just let it go. She'll get it when she gets it and in the meantime, nagging will only make her feel badly.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• No. Every child is different and will learn at their own pace. What's the big deal anyway? It's not like using training wheels is a life or death situation.
    Anonymous

• My son never used training wheels my sis ste-daughter had a really little bike without training wheels on it and he just got on and taught himself he was 3!!! I was scared to death but he took to it within a couple days.
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 2:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My daughter was 7 when we took her training wheels off her bike. It seemed like it was time to take the next step at that point.
    Anonymous

• No. I hate posts like this. Not every kid HAS to be the same as yours. The important thing is the 7 year old is trying and he not laying on his back somewhere playing video games.
    Anonymous