blended family question.When does it get better?

so when my stepdaughter turned 18,I thought things would get better.But her mother and dad(my husband) still put her in the middle of things.And still compete to be the parent she loves more.Does it get better and when?She wants to come live with me and her dad so she can go to colledge.Her mom tells her not to go to colledge.she can go tuition free. I want her to go and I want to help her.but I want to treat her like an adult.

evelynwest

Asked by evelynwest at 1:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• We have struggled with this as well, my daughter (step daughter) has told mom several times she want to live with us mom has told her no, it has been a long struggle emotionally, mentally and financially for him to even get joined custody and that was about 7 years ago (she's 13), you sound like me, you are the neutral party. I would sit down and speak to your daughter and let her know that she's an adult and that both her parents love her but this is a decision she is going to have to make on her own, she needs to decide what is best for her and her future and she needs not to let either parrent influence one way or the other. You should probably speak to your hubby and have him have a separate conversation with her to tell her he will support whatever decision she makes. Good luck!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I'm 26 and I'm still put in the middle of my parent's crap. It never really ends until both parents grow up.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Kiwi, if I have to wait for hubby to grow up, ..................wow.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I'm sorry if that came off as rude. I had just hung up from the phone w/one of my parents asking me to call the other and pass something on since they can't seem to talk to each other or answer the phone when the other is calling.
    I'm sorry, I didn't really help much, huh?
    I hope everything works out well. It's good that you care about your stepdaughter, it helps a lot to have good steps.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Put her in a dorm

Answer by admckenzie at 1:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My first thought was this is a parent issue and it will change when the parents do.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2010