Food question

DD is 6 months old and I've started solids. She will down a container of fruit like it's nothing. I have her on the s tage one because she can't quite sit up on her own yet. Everything I've ever seen about starting solids is to make sure the food is thin. But she spits it out. It's not the tongue thrust reflex, it's her spitting it out. She doesn't spit out thicker foods. If I just give her applesauce she spits it out, but if I mix a little bit of cereal in with it, she eats every bite. Should I just move her up to stage 2?

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Either that or keep mixing the cereal in. Kiwi would do the same thing w/the thinner foods, so I just switched her to the stage 2 at around 6 or 7 months.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Is she is hungry, feed her whatever will keep her happy and healthy.some kids just have really big appetites very early.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• She should be fine for stage 2. Its just a tad thicker and mixes in new ingredients. My friend had the same problem with her daughter. She mixed it all with cereal to make it thicker. You could always do that.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• You haven't been reading the right things about starting solids. At 6 mo foods shouldn't be thin. You can take a fork and mash foods like banana or sweet potato and let the baby feed itself. Baby cereal or foods are never needed. You don't need to spoon feed. This is what La Leche League has been recommending for over 30 years.

It can be harder to swallow thin foods than regular foods. I have a swallowing disorder and I can't eat soup or thin foods at all.

You can find more info at http://www.kellymom.com/ or on the La Leche League website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• You are wasting money on jars and cereal. They are devoid of fiber too. Give her table food. All you need is a fork and soft fruit or cooked veggie. Don't puree it. Let her guide the feeds. You don't need a spoon necessarily either. In a month or so tongue control will be better and she'll mimic chewing much better.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2010