Withdrawl

I have my nephew, who is 9 days old. He tested positive for alchol, cocain, meth, and heroin at birth. I've spoken extensively with hospital staff, but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas or tips on how to help him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can check out the foster parenting groups on here they should be able to help. All I know is the he is going to cry a lot and shake from coming off the drugs. Sorry.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• JUST HOLD HIM AND TALK TO HIM ! BABBY LIKE THAT WILL GROWN OUT OF THAT WHEN THEY GET MUCH OLDER ! GOOD LOOK SWEETY YOUR GOING TO NEED IT ! I BEEN DOWN THAT ROAD !
    Anonymous

• honestly the best thing you can do for him is get him away from his mother until she proves she is and stays drug free.they can't tell now what his future developement will be.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My mother has a friend who's daughter had a baby who tested positive for drugs. He had to stay in the hospital until they knew his withdraws where over. The grandmother took the baby home and has raised it ever since. The baby is the cutest things and doesn't look slow or anything, but yeah you never know what could happen. He might look fine now but could have problems later, or just be fine. I just hope you find a good home for this baby, because he needs to be loved.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Of course mothers shouldn't use drugs during pregnancy but people don't realize smoking is worse than drugs or alcohol (unless there was enough alcohol at the right time for FAS). We don't get all upset about moms smoking during pregnancy and talk about taking their babies away. Those babies go home to homes that have environmental tobacco smoke and they continue to be damaged.

I took a graduate school course on birth defects and this was a big point the prof made over and over. The think is with cigarettes the baby is getting the affects many times every day. Very few pregnant women would use drugs every day all day.

We can't take all the cigarette babies away, there are too many. In states like Indiana about one fourth of pregnant women admit smoking.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Poor baby :( But he's better now that he's with you! Does he show withdrawl symtpoms?
    alotta_fagina

Answer by alotta_fagina at 1:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2010