Advice on dealing with a jealour 4 yr old!!

I have a 4 yr old girl, and a 2 yr old boy that is autistic. We are having problems with my daughter getting jealous. When my son is having a meltdown then my daughter thinks she has to mock him. Then she doesn't understand why we are getting on her and not him. We have tried doing thing with just her (movies etc...). Any suggestions on how we can deal with her without making her feel like we are choosing him over her???

redtang912

Asked by redtang912 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have heard up to about 5, kids can be testing us a lot, and that after that, it mellows out. Continue being consistent. Do you have a chore chart for her and an incentive/ reward? Another idea is one-on-one time. When your son is doing something alone, read with your daughter. Reading might help her talk about things...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I think you are wise to spend time with her. Now, sit down with her and tell her that bro is a part of the family. he has special needs and sometimes he acts differently from others. Mocking will not be tolerated. Even though she isn't a special needs child, she will one day do something wrong or not so smart and she will be shown kindness, forgiveness, grace, whatever she needs. Expect her to do the same and if nothing else, let her know she must stay quiet. Tell her up front what the discipline will be (like she will have to miss out on a family time she enjoys) and also tell her she will be asked to go to her room immediately, no discussion. I think that will help. All older siblings have some jealousy I think. They need to learn how to express their feelings appropriately and you are teaching her that.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2008