My son is afraid I am going to leave....

He's 2-1/2 - I have always WOH - he is in Part Time Daycare and with My mom until I get him off work This has never changed but lately he's been saying things like "mommies don't leave" or "don't leave me mommy" if I even walk down stairs I will come up and he crys "you left me mommy" I try to make sure to tell him if I leave the room we are in together but this seems to be getting a bit worse. He gets my full attention when I am not working and I never go out, so I don't really know where this is coming from.. do kids go through many phases of seperation anxiety? The is no changes at home..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well my husband asked the same thing, but I talked with his teacher there and there doesn't seem to be anyone with changes.. Its a center and they move up based on age and they are trying to transition him to the level ahead but he isn't doing very well.... I feel horrible to Anon - I wish I could stay at home to raise him, although the school he's in teaches him more than I ever could, it breaks my heart to hear this when there is no choice for me not to work.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Has any of the other day care kid's parents recently separated or died?
    My mom had the same problem w/my sister after she realized that Mom had been married before and she was scared that mom and her dad would divorce too.
    She was about your son's age at the time.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• He's going thru separation anxety. Poor kid. Makes me think tywice about MY daughter is daycare a couple of times per week so I can get a break. My daughter's sense of security is more important.
    Anonymous

• ^^^This is me...sorry that makes NO sense...lol...my daughter was climbing on my lap...let me try again:

He's going thru separation anxety. Poor kid. Makes me think twice about putting MY daughter in daycare a couple of times per week so I can get a break. My daughter's sense of security is more important. I'm NOT judging you by the way.
    Anonymous