My son hates to be alone.

I have a three month old son who can't stand it when noone is in sight. I live an hour away from amything so we are in the car a lot. He is fine if someone is sitting in the backseat with him. If he is alone in the back seat he screams the entire way. I'm always pulling over to soothe him, but he starts crying again as soon as i'm back in the front seat. He has a mirror that plays music and flashes lights, i've tried binkys, stuffed animals, toys, rattles, singing and talking to him. I feel horrible for him and don't know what else to try! Any adice would be greatly appretiated.

GingerMom33

Asked by GingerMom33 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he doesn't have object permanence yet. In his mind, if something (or someone) is out of his sight, they are permanently gone
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Get a dog. My grandson has a lab mix dog that sits next to him in the back seat and goes just about everywhere with him. When my grandson comes to my house for the day, my grand-dog comes too. They love coming to my house.

Having a dog has been great for my grandson. He is 20 mo and thinks he is a dog! He doesn't talk much. He barks and will sit for a cookie. We recently put in a doggie door and he loves going in and out the doggie door. I have 2 dogs and my grandson thinks he is one of the pack! 

My DIL started working when he was about 10 mo and my son is going to college. It has helped him be able to stay with me that his dog is with him. He has never been upset about his parents leaving. His dog came from a shelter.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Keep telling him, "I always come back." Eventually he'll understand that you will.
    Anonymous

• I have two dogs, that my son absoutely loves, but living in Florida, I cannot take them everywhere with us. It's just too hot! Great advice for someone in a cooler climate though! I bet that works well.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Do you talk or sing to him while you are in the car? Also, wrap him in a t-shirt that you have slept in.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I agree with, rkoloms -- except dont wrap him in the shirt...just put it over him like a blanket (carseat safety). It also helps to travel in the morning when babies are happiest and/or just around a nap. Other than that you have to wait it out.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2010