Why do so many people feel like they can park in spots that are designated for others?

Yesterday I saw a woman in a sweaty tennis outfit hop out of a tall SUV. She was parked in a handicapped spot and she had handicapped plates. Clearly she wasn't the handicapped individual in the family nor was that person in the car with her. By the way, the parking lot wasn't crowded and there was no shortage of spots.

Last week I saw a man park in a spot that was clearly designated for pregnant customers. If he's pregnant, I'm Santa Claus. Why do people do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• well, you dont know why the handicapped plates are there! Some people have them for arthritus! She may have that and you may not have noticed it!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• umm how do u know she wasn't the handicapped individual or the person in the car... do u know her health history? I am a person who has a handicapped parking car... on some days i can hop out of a truck and walk just fine... the next day due to a disabling illness that is not obvious by looking at me, i may not be able to me and/or barely walk. I can walk into a store feeling fine and look very healthy... again by the time i get done with whatever i had to do i may barely be able to get to my car and need assistance. NOT EVERYONEs disabilities are visible or constant. So, do not judge unless you've walked up to that person and asked.
    Anonymous

• I understand the pregnancy one is annoying, but it's also not enforcable by law. It's a courtsey offered to customers, not a state issued tag. Regarding the handicapped spot, handicapped tags are issued for a variety of issues that aren't related to your ability to walk such as heart issues, seizure disorders, blood pressure issues, etc. It's impossible to take a 10 second glance at someone and determine if their handicapped tag is legitimate or not.
    Anonymous

• My cousin has a handicap sticker for she has RA. She looks perfectly fine too. You never know what reason that woman you saw may have had a sticker. As for pregnancy parking, how do you know someone isn't in early pregnancy? I was WORSE off in early pregnancy than I was during later pregnancy myself. Those parking spaces don't say LATE pregnancy parking, they just say pregnancy parking.

Anonymous

-------------------
    I agree with this.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• As for pregnancy parking, how do you know someone isn't in early pregnancy? I was WORSE off in early pregnancy than I was during later pregnancy myself. Those parking spaces don't say LATE pregnancy parking, they just say pregnancy parking
    ____________________________________________________________

A MAN parked in the pregnancy parking. I'm pretty positive that a man can't be pregnant.

twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 3:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Oh, see those signs aren't for THEM, they're for other people.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2010