Being started early without a medical reason?

Is anyone planning on being started without a medical reason? My friend is being started early just because she is sick of being prenant! Its only 2 weeks early but I still dont agree with it. My SIL was going to be started 2 weeks early because my brother was being shipped but he didnt have to go after all and she wasnt started and the baby came 5 days before his EDD.

What do you think about being started just because? I was started with my boys but with my 1st it was because of his heart rate at 34 weeks and with my 2nd I was started after going into labor at 36 weeks and they couldnt stop me and my water broke the day after they tried to stop my labor.

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I DO NOT agree with being induced. Only if it is a dire emergency. Babies DD are only estimates and size is only a guesstimate. Being tired or pregnancy is not a good reason in my book. I have seen far too many of my friends and family end up with c-sections just for that reason. Also, babies heart rate decelerating is usually caused by all the Pitocin plus the Epidural effects. They give the Pit and that causes EXTREME contractions, then, you almost have to get an Epidural to counteract this time, they have to up the Pit again to counteract and back and forth. So, all that affects the baby in a way to cause their hearts to decelerate. Then, the doc rushes you into surgery to "SAVE" the baby. When in fact, he caused it. LOL

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• wrong and selfish

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• What do you think she means! I agree selfish and very wrong!

• I didnt get an epidural and I was started after the heart rate problems started and yes the pitocin did make it worse but they said he needed to come out.

• I'm on the fence with it. Everyone has thier own reasons for doing what thier doing.

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• ANON 2:03...ok, your baby had heart rate issues before you were induced. That would be a "dire emergency", like I said. You had a legitimate medical reason for getting induced.

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• No way, terrible idea. I had to have a c-section with my second (for real medical reasons) but even then they didn't want to do it a single day earlier than 39 weeks. Some babies are ready that early, others not. A lot of times they get the dates wrong, too, and plenty of babies are born premature by the fault of the doctors.

• I agreed to an induction at 41 weeks 2 days because I didn't know any better
    If I have another one, I will refuse an induction unless medicall necessary

I was lucky, I did have a vaginal birth, and a 5 hour labor, but I was was 3 cm and couldn't get an epidural till 4 cm.... it was EXCRUCIATING

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Any doctor with any sense wouldn't induce for those reason. It's against ACOG, I believe.

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I also think it is dangerous. Risking your health and life and your baby's health and life for no reason at all. Two weeks won't last forever. I was lucky to not have a firm due date so I didn't get as crazy restless as other women.

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2010