Can I file for unemployment twice in one year?

I have worked at Lowe's for 7 years and since I got back from my maternity leave (my son is 18 months) I have been part time, which is great because we don't have to pay day care costs since my mom can watch him the evenings I work. Last fall my mom was diagnosed w breast cancer and has been undergoing chemo treatments, making it very difficult for her to care for the baby at times. This past winter I drew unemployment after taking a lay off from Lowe's (they often cut hours and take voluntary lay-offs and they knew my situation and we all agreed it would be best to be laid off for the winter.) I've been back since March and again they are cutting hours and taking voluntary lay offs. My mom has been doing not so great w her treatments and this would be a great time to take another lay off. But I can't if there is a limit to UE. So does anyone know:
Can I draw unemployment again even tho I did this past winter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• I *think* it's based on how many week's you've collected unemployment, not how many times. I believe you max out after a certain number of weeks.
    Anonymous

• I believe so. My brother had to last year. Of course he works for the Union Pacific Railroad and collected through them. I don't know how it works through the state.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• OP here: Thank you for such a swift response! :) I just talked to my DH, who works at a different Lowe's (My HR manager is on vacation so I can't ask her right now) and his HR mng said that each paycheck you get through Lowe's, a certain amount comes out of that for your unemployment if you ever need it. So depending on that amount accrued, that would determine how much UE I can get. I beleive I remember my HR mng telling me I could draw for 9 months (!) when I drew it back in Jan. So if I've worked there 7 years, surely there is more time that I can draw. I only used about 3 months worth of that 9 months this past winter. I keep trying to call the UE office but I just get voicemail. Gr! I so badly want this to work out so my poor mom doesn't have to feel guilty about not being able to watch the baby and my 75 yr old grandmother won't have to watch him as much.
    Anonymous

• My husband has been with his company 10 years and he has filed unemployment more than 2 times a year. So my answer is yes. You can also file online now. Good Luck! Sorry about your mom!
    rosadnr

Answer by rosadnr at 11:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Thank you so much., rosa. After talking to a few ppl at work I believe it will be fine and I'll go ahead and contact the UE office tomorrow if I can get ahold of some one. Thanks for all the answers ladies!!!!
    Anonymous