Why is canola oil so bad??

I heard that it is supposed to be the healthiest cooking oil because it is low in saturated fat, is high in monounsaturated fat, and has the beneficial omega-3 fatty acid.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Canola isn't all that bad. Lard is bad, like shortening.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Olive oil comes from olives, peanut oil from peanuts, sunflower oil from sunflowers; but what is a canola?

Canola is not the name of a natural plant but a made-up word, from the words "Canada" and "oil". Canola is a genetically engineered plant developed in Canada from the Rapeseed Plant, which is part of the mustard family of plants. According to AgriAlternatives, The Online Innovation, and Technology Magazine for Farmers, "By nature, these rapeseed oils, which have long been used to produce oils for industrial purposes, are... toxic to humans and other animals". Rapeseed oil is poisonous to living things and is an excellent insect repellent. I have been using it (in very diluted form, as per instructions) to kill the aphids on my roses for the last two years. It works very well; it suffocates them. Ask for it at your nursery. Cont:
    Anonymous

• Rape is an oil that is used as a lubricant, fuel, soap and synthetic rubber base and as a illuminate for color pages in magazines. It is an industrial oil.

It is not a food.

Rape oil is strongly related to symptoms of emphysema, respiratory distress, anemia, constipation, irritability, and blindness in animals and humans. Rape oil was widely used in animal feeds in England and Europe between 1986 and 1991, when it was discontinued.

Go to www.breathing.com and search canola oil
    Anonymous

• I gave Canola oil Butter to my DS at 1 year on toast and he got sick, lethargic and had massive diarrhea. I would never buy it.

Anonymous

• I am anon: 2:09 I found these facts on the breathing.com website and cut & pasted. Just to clarify. I knew about canola oil a while ago & would never use any product that contained it.
    Anonymous

• There is a lot of misinformation about it being bad on the internet.   There was a big email hoax several years ago that sparked it.

Anonymous

• http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

This is a link to Snopes, where they tell why the rumnor emails going around about canola oil are false.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I have never heard about all of this. Going to go do some more research...
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• "Olive oil comes from olives, peanut oil from peanuts, sunflower oil from sunflowers; but what is a canola? "

YES!!!

Plus, since 80% of the canola grown is reportedly GMO, that is enough for me. We use mainly coconut ,olive and sunflower oils
    Anonymous

• If only life were so simple that all you had to do was to look it up on Snopes. What is it, a new bible or something? Life is unfortunately, more complicated than that and you may be required to do some actual independent investigation to arrive at the truth..ร‚ยด
    Anonymous