I don't get it!

I go to church every Sunday and Wednesday and my friends kids have expressed interest in going with my daughter to church, and the parents will once in awhile ask me and of course we say yes. But, now it's getting to the point where it's almost like it's an excuse to get their kids out of the house. I tell them "well why don't you go to church?" They say they are always busy those days, but when I pick up and drop off the kids they'll still be in pajamas! And to top it off, when I ask them to help me out and watch my 2 kids so I can play softball while my husband is away, they're too busy for me then, too.

Am I being taken advantage of or am I being overly sensitive? I figure if the kids want to go to church and the parents don't disagree, maybe the parents should be the one taking them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well when you look at it that way then yes you are being taken advantage of. Instead look at it as you are helping the Children and hopefully the parents at some time will follow. You are doing a great work of mercy.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• You're totally being taken advantage of. If they were really busy they wouldn't be in their pajamas! If it's no trouble to you to take them, then just let it go, but if the kids are unruly or if it's out of your way to pick them up and drop them off then ask for gas money. They will either pay you, so it will be worth your while, or they will stop taking advantage of you :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Well if you feel you are being taken advantage of then you should have a talk with the parents.

However you make it your moral obligation to take them to church. You are volunteering a service that may not hold the same intent or meaning to your friends as it does to you. You cant be angry b/c of what they choose to do on their spare time. If their kids enjoy church with you, and they trust yout to take them, then isnt your duty as a Christian served? My personal advise is this: Do all your deeds out of the kindness of your own heart, not in the hopes of repaid efforts. If they the friendship is unequal then you have to do something about it, b/4 it breaks.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 2:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• If the kids want to go it shouldn't matter what the parents are doing. Maybe they don't want to be rude to you and tell you they do not believe but are letting their children find their own religious path. Who knows. Maybe they are very busy at home so they are in their PJs. Maybe they take that time when the kids are gone to clean! Who knows what they do or why they won't watch your kids. Maybe they really don't like kids. Who knows but if you really think about it you are doing the work god would want yo to do right?So why complain!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Stop pretending that God wants these kids to go to church. Religeon often just brainwashes kids and leads them to a great letdown later in life when they realize that nothing they learned is true. I went to church for years as a child. I spent many more years trying to undo the damage those people caused. You are being taken advantage of so unless you really like including them in your day, feel free to stop doing it. :)
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 2:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• unless the kids don't want to go you are doing the right thing. If you feel that strongly that you are helping and the help is not returned say to the parents I take your kids to church can you help me out a few times?
    Anonymous

• Yes you are being taken advantage of. But...Think of what these neighbor children are gaining from you that they would not get from their parents. My parents did not go to church at all when I was a kid and the neighbors across the street would take me because I was friends with their daughter. I now have a sense of where I need to be and have a much better relationship with God. I would not have it if I had not had her parents to take me and teach me. Remember the end goal and that it is about helping to spread God’s word and help make these children followers. I know it’s a pain and it is not fair, but God knows you are a great person and sees what you do and will be rewarded throughout life for your thoughtfulness and care.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 2:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• You are being taken advantage of.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Of course the parents dont mind!! lol But if you enjoy the kids being together no matter where you take them, then take them.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It definitely sounds to me like you are being taken advantage of.  How old are the kids?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2010