Why is everyone against having a purebred dog?

I understand disliking backyard breeders, but why do people get so out of shape about having a purebred dog? I have dachshunds. I've had all kinds of dogs growing up and the dachshunds were the only dogs that I really liked. Their size, disposition, just everything so I wouldn't own a mutt or get a dog from a shelter that wasn't a dachshund. Why does that make me a bad person? I saw a recent post on here that someone was getting bashed for wanting a purebred dog. I just don't understand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have a purebread. I never heard that people are against them. I'm allergic to most dogs and have to be sure what I am getting. I guess people would rather you save a dog from the pound?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Because there are so many dogs waiting to be adopted before they get euthinized, but again it is your personal preference.

Answer by older at 2:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I think it's because there are people that believe if you go out and pay $$$ for a pure breed dog, you are in turn killing a shelter dog because you are not adopting that dog from the shelter.

We adore the Siberian Husky breed and that is what we plan to continue to own throughout our lives. However, we also plan to have indoor cats. Huskies have a reputation for killing cats (or any smaller animal) if they are not socialized and raised with them from the beginning. And obviously we like the bigger dogs, I would not have a large dog around my children 24/7 and trust them completely if I didn't have that dog from the get-go...call it ridiculous or over-protective, but that's how I feel. So I CANNOT get one from a shelter no matter what. Yet someone looks at my 2 Huskies and think that I'm a horrible person because I could have gotten from a shelter instead.......but the truth is that I couldn't have.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Not that this is really comparable, but it kind of also goes along with adopting a child. My daughter was adopted as an infant...I have been known to get a reaction from people thinking it was so wrong of me to adopt a baby instead of a child in foster care.

It's all personal preference.....what works for one, may not work for another. The world is not completely black and white.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Because people always want something to complain about and be angry about. Just don't let it bother you. I like a mutt because I get to see what he turns into, and I read somewhere that mutts live longer because they have more immunities. I would not be upset with you for having a different preference. It does not matter what you post on here, someone will always have something negative to say, and try to pick a fight with you. People love drama and the less you respond to it, the less they win.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 2:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I think it has to do with how many dogs are in shelters without homes. But it is your choice. I have always had mutts. and the previous post talked about them living longer.....well that may be, my mutt (who is gorgeous by the way, people always say she looks like a bear, she's a big black dog with long hair like a golden retreiver) is 17 years olds. She's the best. But you have to get the dog that you want. I will always go to a shelter or to someone who's dog just had puppies and they want to get rid of them, that's my preference. (plus, I'm kind of cheap, I don't want to pay alot for a dog:):) But my daughter just bought a pure bred golden and I didn't see anything wrong with it
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I don't have a problem with you having a purebreed but I prefer mixed breeds and getting them from shelters as well as supporting no-kill shelters. The absolute best case scenario for me would be that you get your pure breed dogs from a breed rescue (a rescue that specializes in one breed and there are tons of them, yes people discard and abuse purebreds too). But, at the very least, don't buy or support pet shops and know what happens at puppy mills. Your purebreeds might come from terribly abused and neglected momma and poppa dogs.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• If you look hard enough with different shelters-I'm sure you will find a DACHSHUND that someone turned in/ or can't take care of any longer. Then there is the thing(purebreed) *Interbreeding*,where you get the papers for it, but something is WRONG with the dog.. Adpot a Shelter Dog..
    Anonymous

• I am not against it at all. I have 3 purebred dogs...a Black Lab and 2 yorkies. All 3 came from the animal shelter. I also have a Boxer mix and Beagle/Bassett mix....who also came from the shelter. I think that getting a dog from a breeder is a huge waste of money when there are so many unwanted animalss out there needing homes.
    Anonymous

• FYI: You can also get PUREBREED DOGS from Rescue Specific Groups(I personally have adopted Labs,Greyhounds from this type of organizations and NEVER had any problems with my pets) and YES they DO Get Puppies.
    Anonymous