Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breaking up??

I am seriously considering breaking up with my SO. We have a 23 month old daughter together. I bought a house 2 years ago with my inheritance for us (he has 2 kids from his previous marriage). However, I stupidly put his name on the title too...

So, I am not sure if I should plan on getting an apartment with my sister before I talk to him or should I wait and see if he will leave the house? Do you think it would hurt me if it came to us going to court over the house if I left the house?

I am pretty sure I will be ending things with him...I just haven't fully finalized the decision with myself. Because of how I am I think it would be easier for me to leave the house...I hate confrontation, but I dont want to lose my financial investment either.

Answer Question

Asked by aly38914290 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Relationships

Level 8 (259 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Get an attorney, file for divorce and stipulate that he leave.

    Answer by bjane01 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • She can't file for divorce if she's not married. However, I agree...get to an attorney ASAP and they will tell you what you need to do. Don't move out until you get counsel. You can probably get a motion to vacate for him to leave the property and you take it over.

    Answer by rio_burb at 3:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • Talk with an attorney. This is to important to not have things done right and legally

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • Get an attorney. You bought the house with YOUR inheritance he has no right to the house whether his name is on it or not.

    Rio: In TX if you have assets together whether your married or not, you have to get a divorce, especially if you have children.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 5:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • At the very most you will have to refinance the house and give him some money to leave.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 5:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • Same in Co if you have been living together for more than 6 months you have to get a divorce, but you should get a lawer like the other ladies suggested and they will help you go through the right procedures.

    Answer by countrygirl06 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • Get a lawyer, and do not leave the house when both your names are listed as owner - in some cases it will give him the upper hand of keeping it. Get whatever bank statements you can to prove the house was bought with your money. My aunt is going through a similar situation, after my grandmother died my aunt bought her house with her boyfriend. The house is in both their names, he left and she still had to have proof that the house was bought with her money so she could keep her ex from selling it and now she's trying to get a low refinance rate so she doesn't have to sell it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • if you leave your house you lose any rights to it .. don't leave try to get him to leave.. I have been divorce 2.5 years.
    try to get together the proof that you inherited the house. wait your not married I don't think he has any rights to the house ..
    if I was you I would at least get a free consult from a lawyer.. till then wait till he is at work put his stuff outside & change all the locks.

    Answer by maiahlynn at 10:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.