Breaking up??

I am seriously considering breaking up with my SO. We have a 23 month old daughter together. I bought a house 2 years ago with my inheritance for us (he has 2 kids from his previous marriage). However, I stupidly put his name on the title too...

So, I am not sure if I should plan on getting an apartment with my sister before I talk to him or should I wait and see if he will leave the house? Do you think it would hurt me if it came to us going to court over the house if I left the house?

I am pretty sure I will be ending things with him...I just haven't fully finalized the decision with myself. Because of how I am I think it would be easier for me to leave the house...I hate confrontation, but I dont want to lose my financial investment either.

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• Let me phrase this question as kindly as possible. You had a child with him but you didn't bother to get married and protect yourself legally? Then you spent your inheritance on a house that you put his name on? Ouch!! That being said, Don't leave him with the house!! You need legal advice before you do anything, girl. Good luck!
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 2:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Our lease was up and I was about to have our daughter so we needed a place.....we got the house REALLY cheap (its totally paid for). He was working at the time and I was not. I didnt expect things not to work out....although I did realize then I could regret putting his name on it. Legal advice said that I should have him leave but there is no way to FORCE him to leave either since he is a legal owner as well. She did say that it would be a civil matter about the house and the fact the money came soley from my inheritance would help my case....since had we been married they would give me the house because it came from my inheritance money.

its not a matter of bothering to get married....I wasn't about to rush him into a marriage....not really worth stressing about at the moment either.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• The one who leaves, loses. I would start by getting him to sign an agreement that when you sell the house, you get back your original investment.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Wow, I'm in the same boat!! I wish I had better advise!! I think you should not leave. I know its easier to leave but I would say talk to your SO and tell him to leave that its not fair that you leave because of your daughter. =}
    But that's right the one that leaves loses.
    Anonymous