I don't like my friends... is that bad?

I moved to SC a year and half ago, and I met some really nice girls who have kids. They have been a great help while I was pregnant and when we travel they watch my hosue and dog. But, lately I really feel like I'm forcing friendships. I realized just how little I really have in common with them, and I just don't really feel like it's clicking. I think I've made friendships as a matter of circumstance, they all have kids, are home during the day, and we live near each other, not to mention our husbands are all Marines. But, I feel like it's becoming mroe and more forced. Maybe I'm just comparing to my friends I had in California or the ones from my homestate.
I'm sure all of them feel the same as I do to an extent, I'm sure none of them think we'll ever continure a friendship once someone moves. Should I continue this? Slowly find new friends? Or quit cold turkey?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• Why throw the baby out with the bathwater? Of course you should continue seeing them and slowly find new friends. If it's any consolation, I don't like any of my friends either. Still, it's better to have somebody to talk to who isn't perfect than nobody at all. :)
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 2:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• You can gradually distance yourself and look into activities where you might make friends with more similar interests, but if you don't expect to be there long term I'd just leave things alone and start over at the next post.
    Anonymous

• I had a friend like this, we became friends because our kids were in sports together, after the season was over i slowly realized that outside of sports we had nothing in common, i couldn't be in the same room as her and hold a conversation by ourselves, she was mean to her DH in front of us and threw him out of the house every chance she got and then asked him to come back because she needed a ride or money and I didn't like that, I didn't like the type of person I discovered she was. I pretty much distanced myself from her and eventually I stopped talking to her all together earlier this year, and honestly I don't miss her and the drama
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I would just start looking for new friends. I have mad circumstantial friends before and they are not true friends. If you just continue to only acquaint yourself with them, you will never have real friends and having that is important. It’s ok to keep in touch with these lady’s and only consider them acquaintances and not friends. I have neighbors that in passing we say hello, on a nice evening we will stand outside and chat, and currently I am watching their dog. We aren’t friends and we are all to the understanding of that. It’s something different and that’s ok.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 2:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• op here- Thank you blabbermouth... totally agree. It's better than nobody at all. I'm just so bummed that I haven't found someone you just feel connected to, you know?

And I forgot to mention that I definitely repay their favors by watching their kids, so it's not just onesided! lol Just wanted to throw that out there.
    Anonymous

• i think your comparing too much to your older friendships. i did that with my chikdhood friendships i thought i was suppose to be that close to every friend i met, but that just doesn't happen. adult friendships grow in a different way and not all friendship turn out to be close, all friendships are different. don't shut anyone out, yall could end up growing closer later or mybe not but don't cut them out
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I would get rid of any friends I didn't like. I have a tendency to just walk away. Fade away if you think that is best but move on

Answer by admckenzie at 3:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• That's so crazy, because I moved to IL from CA 4 years ago and still feel the same. I don't know if it's because i'm married with kids now and relationships and roles change or what, but I still haven't found anyone, friendship wise, that I connect with and fully trust with my friendship! Ugh....maybe it's a Cali thing? lol
    Anonymous