Help. Breastfeeding & unsure when to introduce solids!

My daughter will be 6 months in 7 days [wow time flies], she is my third child but the first to be breastfed this long. Right now she is EBF but has severe reflux. Her doctor suggested we start rice @4months but she would gag even if it was thin. I figured it was the taste. Last week we tried again with the same result, she gags. I have tried 2 different veggies thinking it was just the taste but she just doesn't seem to be ready. I also had my supply dry up with my second and am not sure how to make sure this doesn't happen once foods are introduced. Any advice will be helpful!!

lizafur13

Asked by lizafur13 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gagging is a reflex to keep solids out. She is not ready. Food before one is for fun and experience not nutrition. When ready she will try to steal your food, will have lost the tongue thrust reflex, won't gag unless it is too big, can sit up well unassisted, and has tongue control and mimics chewing motions. Wait a month and re-evaluate. She may not have much interest until 9 months or more and that is okay too. Table foods soft or mushed. You can let her feed herself some lightly mushed avocado or something else so she regulates to see what happens with the gagging....enjoy the mess! When she does show keen interest, remember breastmilk first...solids as a treat/dessert! Don't do rice cereal...it does taste horrid!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:21 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• You can try the baby oatmeal instead of rice, my daughter likes it a lot more and it doesn't upset her tummy at all like the rice did. If your little one still gags on that I would hold off for a week, try it again. Just keep testing it out until she seems ready. also, if you are putting it too far back on her tongue that can induce her gag reflex.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My baby wasn't interested until 7 1/2 months other than playing with an apple which she sucked and gumed but didn't eat except by accident of baby spit. She clearly had no tongue control. One day she insisted i share my food...loudly insisted and tried to liberate samples. I gave her a piece and she moved it with her tongue and made chewing motions. A month later she nurses a lot but shares what I eat and has never refused. She's had kiwi, beans, asparagus nd anything you can name in a fruit or veggie. She asks for it, she initiats by crawling over to me and sitting or pulling up. When i allow her to make a delightful mess that the only time i get a high chair. :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• She does try to take food from us when eating. I wouldn't try to push it since I know its not NEEDED but her reflux is so bad and her doctor swears solids will help.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• As i said, try letting her self feed. She may not gag
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• What kind of foods should we try letting her self feed with? My other 2 didn't get table food until much older!
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Anything soft. You can start with avocado and just smash it with a fork. See how she does and then the sky is the limit. A baked sweet potato comes out soft. Butternut squah, pear, etc. Be prepared for a mess. You can try preloading the spoon and giving it to her but she'll likely just enjoy a hands on approach.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• FYI i rarely use a spoon. And when I do its a regular spoon. I use my fingers for bits mostly. i do do pre-loaded spoon and either let her make a mess or guide her if we are out in a restaurant.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 4:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2010