Anyone have a thyroid disorder?

I've always suspected I might, but tests continue to show normal. However, my sister told me that her doctor said or she read that sometimes the tests will show normal for a long time even if there is a small problem and only show up when the thyroid becomes even less efficient at its job. My doctor said I have some of the symptoms and the swelling in my neck, but again, as of my last test everything appeared normal (or normal enough). Unfortunately, I am trying to breastfeed and I tend to have supply issues (yes, I've spoken to LLL and even they say I may have some kind of issue causing my boobs not to put out enough) and I was told a thyroid problem can sometimes do that...but if they tests won't even show up yet, I'm obviously NOT going to be able to fix it with meds until they do. Does the "not showing up thing" happen often, or should I assume my issues are something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Health

• I have Graves disease, a thyroid disease and made enough milk for 3 babies. I did nurse 2 at a time with no problems. My DIL has a low thyroid. She works, doesn't pump, and makes enough milk for twins! My grandson is 20 mo and loves nursing. A low thyroid may impact breastfeeding a little but breastfeeding more frequently in the early weeks will help ensure an adequate supply. Hyperthyroidism isn't a condition that causes a woman to not be able to breastfeed.

The thyroid tests primary care doctors do are usually just screening tests. There are more detailed tests. If you haven't had all the tests done you might talk to your doctor about running more tests. Low thyroid can cause fertility problems. That's how my DIL found out she had a problem.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• If your doctor is only running ONE blood test, then that will not tell the whole story. To get an accurate pciture of what's going on they need to run all of the following tests:

TSH, T4, Free T4, T3, and Free T3

TSH can be in the normal range even when the other levels aren't. My thyroid was over active. A TSH test showed it to be only slightly out of the normal range, but the other tests showed a more sever problem. Like Gailll's DIL, I first had it tested when I was seeking fertility help.
    Anonymous

• mine started that way swelling in my neck you have a goiter or are developing a goiter and do you feel like something is like restraining ur neck sometimes? do you have a hard time controlling your body temps?? I have hy[pthyroid are you gaining more weight than usual?? these are some questions to ask yourself do you feel flu like symptoms sometimes? or weak or tired for no reason? these are all symptoms. Have all those tests minchened above or there is no real way to know:) GL
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2010