Help! Moving to New York in just a couple of weeks from Alabama

Hi everyone. My husband and I are very spontaneous and we have decided to move to New York wth our 3 month old daughter. He already has a job lined up in Brooklyn. My question is, we had planned to rent/buy an apartment but which place or which little city would be the best to live in thats in walking distance to alot of different places. We will not have a car but like yousee on Tv. All those ppl walking. Where is that at?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You should talk with a real estate agent to make sure you are in a decent neighborhood. I would never move to a town without checking out neighborhood crime statistics. From AL to NY is a major cultural change. I hope you are up for it. Don't expect all that southern hospitality you are used to and for goodness sakes don't say "y'all". They already think we southern folk are ignorant
    Anonymous

• You really don't need a car in most of the city. Your spouse's new employer would be the best source of apartment rental assistance.

Have fun! New York is awesome!!

Answer by rkoloms at 4:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• That's Manhatten. In Brooklyn you'll regularly use public transportation. After you get settled in an Apt. & save some $, you will probably want to move to Long Island or New Jersey. It's the suburbs. Most people who work in the city Manhatten/brooklyn take the Train to work every day and live on the Island or Jersey. It is very ethnic in Brooklyn now, a lot of Asian mostly. Not that Asian is bad but it's going to be quite a reality check if you are not and it's not a like where you are from and I wouldn't raise a kid there. Google address in the area you are looking to live and do a street view. Most of the store fronts will be foreign. Good Luck.
    Anonymous