What has the world come to?

I'm walking back to my car from dropping paper work off with my college professor and I see smoke coming from the trash can. As I get closer it burst into flames. Many people were watching it before it burst into flames and did nothing. Even when it was on fire everyone just watched. Some guy on the phone is talking about it to a friend and mentions that maybe someone should call the police but doesn't get off the phone himself. So I call campus police to let them know then I leave. We have all been in the situation at some point and sometimes we walk away but what makes us do that??? I'm guilty myself but I am slowly beginning to realize that maybe people need to step up more even in weird situations.

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 3:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I Agree with you. My hubby was in a REALLY bad car accident a couple years ago. This was at a MAJOR intersection. It happened in the morning. Some people were in such a rush to get to work that they just drove around him and the other guy. Didn't even bother to call the police. Thankfully the guy that was in line behind my hubby called and STAYED until help got there. He even gave a statement to the police. It's just sad that people don't step up anymore because they are "TOO BUSY".
    Anonymous

• it was contained in the trash can so no need for them all to panic and call the FD
    Anonymous

• When a group of people see an emergency situation no one person may feel compelled to act. There have been cases where people some famous cases of this happening with deadly results.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• A fire in a trash can seems pretty well contained to me...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:04 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It's not about the trash can fire, it's about the bigger picture of people just letting things happen and not doing anything about it. Besides to the reponses that felt it unnecassary to call police: are you suggesting that you just let the fire burn?? The trash can was melting rapidly next to a parking lot full of cars that was lined with grass. That grass would easily become lit and the cars could be damaged. Why wait to find out what it might do?? That's sounds pretty dangerous to me.

Op here
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 4:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• it's called bystander effect. People figure others are more qualified and will handle the situation.
    *psychology*
    Anonymous

• If I see a car accident I usually don't call the police. I know that the people involved, if they aren't injured, will call.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2010