Is my baby behind??

My son is almost 4 months old and he is able to hold his head up but is still quite bobbly. He does not enjoy tummy time. I still try it every day. So in order for him to build those muscles we started playing "airplane" with him. Which he loves! He also can not roll over yet or grab things. And he doesn't show much interest in his hands. I try to play with him all the time so he can discover these things but I feel like maybe I am doing something wrong? I have a friend who's son is the same exact age and he was holding his head up a couple months ago. He was also sitting in one of those little chairs that helps them learn to sit. My son is not ready for that yet because his head isn't strong enough. Her son is also laughing a LOT and grabbing his feet and toys. I know you really can't compare two babies because some take longer than others but I feel like he is SOO much more behind than hers is. Is this normal??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he is fine, relax and enjoy him
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• it doesn't sound like he's behind and you're right they all develop at their own pace, my LO hated tummy time, he showed no sings of wanting to crawl then one day he did it all by himself at 7 months, there are babies in my group whose babies are talking/walking before 1 my LO is no where close talking and I think he wants to try walking but wont take more than 2 steps, just keep doing what you're doing with him mama!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Every baby matures at different rate,, one question,, does your baby laugh and engage with you when you talk to him? If so nothing to worry about,, but keep up that tummy time... DS hated it too. DS walked at 9 months,, and I was so happy, but it took him FOREVER to stay on his feet,,, I worried and worried,, but all was fine,,just relax,, and enjoy him,, !
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 4:17 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• no worries, it doesn't sound like he's behind at all. he's still under the max average for most of those. Like rolling is 4-7 months on AVERAGE. that is just when most babies roll. it can happen anytime during that 4-7 month period or it can happen earlier or later.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2010