Is it normal for a 4 y/o girl to draw pictures including private parts??

My 4 y/o DD has started drawing pictures of herself and animals and includes the usual stuff like eyes, nose, mouth, arms, legs, hair, and belly button. Lately she has been drawing 2 little nipples and what looks like a "U" shape inbetween the legs that hangs down and when I ask she says that it is her privates. I don't want to make a big deal out of it but the first time said we don't need to draw them, they are our privates and no one else needs to see them. She continues to draw them. I am hoping it is just curiosity and not abnormal but wanted to post here for other's opinions. It isn't like she is subjected to nudity at home (or elsewhere), but DH and I realized several months ago our children are to the age where we need to be more private when in the bathroom, getting ready to bathe/shower, dressing, etc.
Is this normal behavior for a 4 y/o?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes it's normal! when i was 4 we colored bears to hang up at a art show and mine didn't get put up because i drew a penis on it. i had a new baby brother so i was learning about how boy's and girl's are diff and the teacher didn't freak out or anything it's normal.
    LoveKillsSlowly

Answer by LoveKillsSlowly at 3:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Sounds like you have a very observant child! LOL! I think it is pretty normal,, the less you react the better.. DS is very interested in why do boys have a penis and girls don't! He just turned 5 no worries mamma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Yeah, it's normal. It's just one more way for them to explore it. If it makes you a little uncomfortable just tell her "we don't show our real privates in public, lets not show them on the pretty pictures either".
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It's normal if she's seen them. Children draw what they see
    Anonymous

• Sounds totally normal to me.

One of my nieces was 4 when she drew a family portrait that consisted ONLY of penises and vaginas lol. Her mom asked what she was drawing and she said "Our family, these are the boys' penises and these are our vaginas." lol. It's a funny story, but it's totally normal. The more taboo you make it the more fascinating it will become. Just let her get it out of her system.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I think she is a very observative little girl. When I had my preschool class, children werent typically drawing things like belly buttons or noses. Most pictures resembled a giant circle with 2 4 lines coming out...2 were legs and 2 were arms...and then they would have two big circles for eyes and a big smile. Some would come up with the nose..but not many.
    I don't think its a bad thing that she is drawing that...she is drawing what she is seeing, or what she has observed. I think that is a good thing, I wouldnt discourage her from drawing it. If you have other concerns as to why she is drawing that kind of stuff...well, thats a different story. But if she is just expressing herself and being creative....I would be proud mom and dad :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Oh yes! And they will do it in public places and when other people are around.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I remember when my sister was 4 she drew a penis and butt on all of her dolls. She had seen the neighbor's (a child). I would say yes, very normal.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• my dd was 3 when she drew hers! she drew a picture of her, myself, and my dh. the only difference of the 3 was daddy's private parts! a little embarrassing. we explained to her that we don't draw our private parts. next thing i knew she was drawing daddy and everything, but then she would color pants over it! lol. it's just part of learning my dd draws what she sees flowers, trees, people, so since then we have been more aware when we go to take a shower or whatever!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I can't say if it's normal or not - I don't remember what kind of stuff me and my sisters drew at that age and I only have my two girls to go on and neither draw private parts. They either draw weird mutated people and animals, doodles, or people with clothes on so their private parts aren't showing. If my kids start drawing private parts I'd tell them that people wear clothes unless they're bathing and if they start drawing people in the tub or taking a shower I'll tell them to stop being smart asses.
    Anonymous