Age for a bunk bed...

My son is going to be 6 years old. Is he still too young for a bunk bed?

VolpeFemmina

Asked by VolpeFemmina at 3:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My little sister and I had bunk beds at 4 and 5. I slept on the top without a rail, I fell of a handful of times, so make sure you have a rail. I would guess he would be fine with a bunk bed.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• nope, not with a rail. I think any aged child needs a rail, as they turn over .hell I need one lol...and I am 38
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• We just got one for my 14 year old and 4 year old. When we bought it we said the little guy MUST sleep on the bottom. Now that it is home, my younger one has spent many nights on top. It is very safe and there is a good railing around the whole thing. We got it at Bob's. It's very cute. Every step has a drawer that pulls out and lots of storage underneath (if you're still looking). I think he'll be fine, but only you can make that decision.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I don't think they make them without rails!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I've always heard the recommended age as being five and up. We bought them a couple years ago for the kids (five year old on top, three year old on the bottom.) My son did manage to fall off the top and break his arm, even with the rail... he somehow flipped over the railing while he was sitting on the bed, not while he was sleeping (I watched him do it and still don't know quite how he managed it!) Based on that, I wouldn't have bought them for my klutzy kids at all!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My girls got bunk beds in March, ages 5 and 7. They switch bunks every time I change the sheets (which is on payday so I don't forget). I have had no problems.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My boys got them when they shared a room at 5 and 7. The younger one slept on top because the older one has autism. No problems.

Answer by missanc at 4:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• i got bunk beds for my girls when they just turned 2 and 4. had to have them cause they also share the room with the baby 10mnth now. the 2yr old sleeps on the bottom. and with the rails the 4yr old as never fallen off.
    teddybear2272

Answer by teddybear2272 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• up until 2 months ago I was sharing a bed with my 5 yr old...It wasn't right but we only have the one bedroom so i went and bought a brand new twin over full bunk bed.......He loves it!! and there is no problems with him being on top and me being on bottom. Just make sure there is a full barrier on the top on both sides...so he doesn't fall off the front part but also so he doesn't fall between the bed and the wall
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• i've always said i'd wait until my twins were at least 9 before considering bunkbeds
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 2:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2010