What happened to people helping eachother?

I went to Target this afternoon and when I got out to the parking lot my car wouldn't start. Then the baby started screaming (she was tired). So I'm sitting in a 90 degree parking lot with my hood open trying to call my husband and deal with a screaming baby. Only ONE person even stopped to offer to help. I was there for almost an hour before I just gave up and went back into the store and waited for my husband. I just can't see walking by a woman alone with a dead car and a screaming baby and not even stopping to ask "is everything ok"...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i know what you mean! i feel the same way! when im driving alone i stop and offer help to people that are stranded but my hubby gets mad at me and says you cant be dloing that because you dont know if they are lying and are going to hurt you! i just pray and ask god to help me when i stop to help! sorry to hear you had a bad day!
    Anonymous

• Thats too bad.
    I think when people stopped respecting others is when the help stopped as well. People are too worried about themselves to help or they are fearful they'll get hurt by someone tricking them,etc.

It really is too bad, we do better when we respect and help one another but that seems to be a rare quality anymore.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I am sorry! I would have helped you if I had seen you.\
    I think most people now think that everyone has a cell phone so they can just call for help. But we need to remember that help isn't always close by, just because you can call someone, doesn't mean they can get to you D:

Hope your day gets better!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I wouldnt have walked by, that isjust not right and I encourage my husband to help others too. But honestly? They saw you with the phone so they felt like you had it under control...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• There are some nice people out there still. Thanksgiving of '05, when Kiwi was 9 months old, we were going to my aunt's house and I got lost. I just couldn't find the road she lived on. I stopped at a couple places to ask directions for the road, four homes, and one business. The lady at the store told me I wasn't even in the right town (she was wrong) and that I was wasting her time by asking such a dumb question. The people in two of the homes slammed the door in mine and Kiwi's face and the third told me I was ruining their day by knocking on the door. The last one, the lady invited us in, gave Kiwi a cup of milk and was so nice. She called her husband to get the directions, then asked her son to lead me there. She was the only person who actually helped me, and that's counting the three times I had car trouble. I'm sorry you had such a hard time. I guess there are only about 1 in a million that will help.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• So you did call your husband? They saw you on the phone, the situation was handled. You had to wait an hour for your husband? I would have waited indoors from teh start . When people see you handling the situation, they will go about their business. NO need to panic. If you were having so much trouble, you should have asked someone instead of expecting someone to help you without being asked.
    Anonymous

• I've never had any trouble getting people to stop. I had a flat tire two weeks ago and two guys stopped and asked if they could help before I even had a chance to get my cell phone out to call my dh. And my husband always stops and helps out if he sees a single woman stranded on the road, with or without a baby.

Answer by missanc at 4:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My husband and I always ask if a person needs help. ESPECIALLY if they have children. People in general are awful. One time we had a flat tire with the spare on the car from the night before because we had a flat already and we were on the way to get new tires. We sat there and sat there. We didn't have a cell phone because at the time we couldn't afford it. Then a nice white lady pulls up next to us and says, and I QUOTE "You poor things are on the wrong side of town. Nobody around here is gonna help yall out." Then drives off. WTF? I guess because I looked hispanic. Okay we are down, but you don't have to kick us. We didn't take it to heart though. We just sat there a few hours until a family member got off work to help us.
    Anonymous

• Just because someone has a cell phone DOES NOT MEAN that they have help on the way. People are so freaking scared of their own shadow that they will not even offer to help with something to this OP. I always help people if I can. Even at stores, if I see a senior citizen trying to load something heavy enter their trunk I will offer. Because I would hate for that to my grandpa and nobody offers him help. Love is spread by love. Do something selfless once for a stranger this week. Just once.
    Anonymous

• Ha. It happened to me too. A couple years ago I was in job training and when I left, I noticed the car was handling really weird. So I pulled over to see WTH, and I had a flat. Normally, no biggie, because I can change a tire. However it wasn't my car so I didn't have the jack or the wrench or anything...not even one person stopped to help me.
    That was the one and only time that happened. I have had really good experiences with people stopping to help me when I had car trouble. My car died in the middle of the freeway at 8 am during peak rush hour traffic. A man stopped to help me, got my car pushed off the freeway. He turned out to be a mechanic who looked at it and told me what was wrong. To this day I am grateful to him, cuz my boyfriend was out of town and if it hadn't been for the kindness of that stranger, I would have been SOL!
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 12:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2010