I was interested in homeschool my kids during the middle school years, would it adversely affect my kids to take them out of school for 3 years?

My kids are still only 5 and 4, in the fall my eldest will be in 1st grade and my youngest in pre-school. They'll be at an excellent elementary school but the middle school isn't so great. I wasn't happy with their performance as educators when I was student there or when my younger siblings went there. The public highschool is a little better but also at the highschool level there are two other schools I have the option of choosing to send my kids so I was thinking about homeschooling for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Everyone has an opinion on if this is good or a bad. Their opinion is depended on their personal beliefs on homeschooling. There are many CM members that have made it clear homeschooling should be illegal so clearly they are the ones that most likely will say yes homeschooling is "bad". On the other side you have some homeschoolers that are so anti-brick and motor schools that it's not even funny. So clearly they would give you the green light. BOTTOM LINE: You just have to do what you feel is best for your children. You will have people on both sides of the fence picking at you on the forums and in real life. BE FIRM in your choices and learn your LOCAL-STATE LAWS regarding homeschooling. Every state has it's own laws! So you want to be sure you are doing what's legal for YOUR STATE in addition to what you feel is best for your children. As a homeschooling parent myself I give you the green light and say they will be fine!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I think you need to do what is best for your kids and they will be just fine. I homeschooled my oldest for 2 yrs (5th & 6th) and she went to school this past year in 7th and she did great.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• You should do what you think is best but find out what the rules are for the district when their ready to go back. I was homeschooled for a while during middle school and part of highschool then was ready to go back but they wanted to start me over as a freshman and I had just finished my sophmore year.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Personally, I think you should have them go to the middle school and if you are worried about the education level, supplement at home or get them in some sort of tutoring program. I just think it is important for them to form a group of friends and be a bit familiar with their peers. High school is hard on a social level, and it is even harder if you go in not knowing anyone. Plus, middle school kind of prepares you for high school, as far as class changing and all that. I just think if you are planning on sending them back to public school in high school, they would adjust better if they've been in that environment.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 4:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I'm not pro or con on homeschooling, I think each family has to decide what is right for them - my kids are in public school, but I have many friends who homeschool. However, I would think taking them out for middle school and then putting them back in during high school would be tough socially. By highschool most kids will already have the friends they made in middle school and will have formed their cliques. Changing schools is tough on kids, I would think going back to school would be infinitely harder!

Answer by missanc at 4:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• They're your kids. Make a decision though cuz if you act like you're uncertain, they won't feel so secure or confident. I think it is a wonderful idea. Think of how close yall can become spending more time together.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 5:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Do you feel prepared to teach middle school level courses? Do you believe you are more qualified to teach those courses than the teachers employed at the middle school? If you are not confident in your abilities, then send them to school or start working now to prepare yourself.
    Anonymous

• Things can change at any given school in that amount of time. I would wait until your kids are older, and then check out the school before deciding.

Having taught middle school, I do have to say the transition is difficult. I do think high school will be quite a shock for students that never attended middle school. I'm not saying it's not the best choice, but your kids will have to get used to high school being very different from elementary.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 5:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I can't evaluate your teaching skills. I would not have homeschooled past fourth grade.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Based on the way you type I would be concerned that homeschooling is not your best option. I agree with GavinsMommii that you should let them continue in the public school system and consider a tutoring program to supplement. Keep in mind also that schools change over the years and just because a school was bad (or good) doesn't mean it will be the same 10 years later.
    Anonymous