1 yr old still waking up crying 3-6 times a night- never slept through the night, suggestions?

My 1 yr old has always had trouble sleeping. A few months ago she would wake up screaming, and wouldnt stop until I put her in our bed. My husband has to get up at 5 a.m. So I would do anything for him to be able to get a bit more sleep.

Well, by doing this my little one has settled in to the routine of getting in our bed at night. So I sleep on the floor, and baby shares the bed with my husband. And for the first month she finally slept throught the night. But now shes waking up ever other hour or so crying. Is this normal? She has never really slept through the night.. Im frusterated..and tired.. I would put her in a different room, except we have a studio. Any suggestions?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 4:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 2.5 and has recently started sleeping through the night. She was still waking up atleast once a night up until then. I found that she woke up every night and cried for her cup of milk. Well I stopped giving it to her because I noticed it was becoming and had become a habit. One night I think I was so tired that I didnt get up to get it and let her cry and she cried for like 15 min and went back to sleep, so after that I didnt do it anymore. Now every once in a while she does wake up but I know when she is really thirsty now because she has a dry cough. I dont mind her sleeping with me though because Im single and dont share my bed anyway.
    I hope you find a solution soon because I know how frustrating it is. Imagine getting up with her everynight and then turning around to get up at 5:30 every morning to get ready for work and get her ready for daycare. A cranky mommy. lol
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• if it makes you feel better, my son is 2-1/2 and still not sleeping through the night.. waking from 1- to 6 times also - I understand your frustration and then some! GL!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• now usually when they wake this often its for comfort like the bottle. What calms her down? My son woke till almost 2 because he wanted milk so he felt when he woke thats what he needs. Oh such a bad habit. My girls I did different so they slept like charms at 12mos when we put them in their own bed in their rooms but you can't do that! That may be the issue that she knows you guys are so close. I am sure if with my girls I tried to do that they would be screaming and waking too thinking I need to get them I aam not sure what you can do? Sorry hope it gets better:)
    Anonymous

• Maybe you could try playing soothing music all night. I put on lullabies for my son when he was in the bassinet by our bed and he was sleeping in his crib at 2.5months. Is she wet when she wakes up? I used to change my son 2-3 times a night to keep him dry and asleep.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 5:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Does she nap during the day? If not, it is because she is overstimulated. Also do not give a baby vitamin to her in the eveniing, it should be given after the afternoon nap. Baby vitamins stimulate the brain and may prevent the child from sleeping soundly at night. Limit fluids after 7pm because she may be waking from the wet diaper. Does she have gas? if so get MYLICON from the drug store. She may be waking from a tummy ache too. Hope I helped.
    Anonymous