1 yr old slapping/hitting herself, normal?

Just out of now where, she start hitting her head, or slapping her face. I dont know where she got this from. My mom says she just wants more attention- but I'm with her all day... Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think part of this may be testing out sensations, etc. and I wouldn't be worried. My daughter often will "bonk" her head, by accident, and then do it again on purpose and thinks it is funny or is just curious. Also, recently (she is 16 months now) she began having little tantrums, and would hit her face when she got frustrated. I was a bit worried, but it has subsided, and when she does do it she is venting frustration.
    With your daughter, I think it is probably more just trying out new things :) to see the reaction and to see how it feels, etc. as I doubt she has started having tantrums yet, right?
    Unless she is being hurt by doing these things, I would think it is a phase.
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 4:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• bump!
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 4:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• no I think it is nnormal both mu girls now 2.5 and 5 when they were little they smacked their head and kept crabing things and hitting themselves in the head then they would cry about it lol. I was like then why did you do that? LOL...But I think they do it cause they don't realize it hurts or something lol not sure why, but since both my kids done it I am taking it that it is normal lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Is it something that she is doing a lot? If yes, I would probably start by asking my pediatrician. Does it seem accidental or on purpose? It doesn't sound normal if she is actually hurting herself when she does it. I would imagine a child would not continue hitting themself if it hurt. Does she only do it at a certain time? It could be a nervous tick. My stepdaughter developed a nervous tick when she was about 5. It eventually stopped, but if it were my child, depending on the circumstances surrounding the hitting, I would ask a doctor.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 5:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• She hits herself at different times. She did it when she was in her high chair, and when she was watching a cartoon, when she was just laying in bed. Its more and more frequent. And she doesnt mean to hurt herself- when it does hurt she cries and I pick her up.
    Anonymous