I knew this was a bad idea

when I heard about this 16 year old trying to sail the worl by herself I knew it was a bad idea. I am all for encouraging your child to be achievers but sailing around the world without supervision is not a good idea. I feel sorry for the parent worry but I also kinda of blame them. I mean why let your kid do this isn't having straight A's good enough anymore?

here the link I don't know how to make it clickable
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/17943/emergency+rescue+effort+is+launched+for+teen+sailor+abby+sunderland/

symle456

Asked by symle456 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• thanks^^^^
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• She wanted to do it. She isn't the only to do it. A girl from Australia just finished the same trek and she was 16. Her brother did it when he was 17. What is the difference in her doing it now and when she is 18. Nothing.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• no way would i let my kid do that!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• She is an adult at 18 and not a minor, that is the difference. Her parents are responsible for her until she is 18. Hopefully she will be found safe and uninjured.
    Anonymous

• Well we should all hope & pray that she is found safe and sound! I do not think I would have the guts to let my child do this alone.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• you cant keep your kid in a bubble, they are individuals too, and to blame them for something you really have no control over is a little harsh, who is to say if she didnt go she would be ok, you really have no idea. My hopes and prayers go out to that family and girl
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 5:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Does it make people feel better when they bash parents for their decisions- especially when something this sad is happening!? People should not be so negative towards others like that! And just try to show support & love & best wishes!! Lets see compassion people!
    She obviously has a love for sailing, its good that her parents support her. My parents allowed me in the 8th grade to take a field trip with teachers/students to washington,ny, penn. & a few other states (we live in tx). The bus could have crashed. Tons could have went wrong the 2wks I was away.. But my parents know its important to Live! Me going on that trip is one of my best memories growing up. I may never get another chance to do something like that again!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I thought she was 16, not 18. No Way would I allow my 16 yr old to do this alone.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 6:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• She is 16. And the biggest concern we should have right now is whether or not she will be found safely. I have heard that some rescue planes are going out from Australia and should reach her location in about 4-5 hours (not sure when they left or are leaving).

I pray they find her, or her body (I know that last part is rather crass, but fewer things are worse than not having a body when someone vanishes.)
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 6:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2010