Any suggestions for non-monetary rewards for chores?

I'm looking for ideas that can be used as chore chart rewards at the end of the week. I'm trying to stay away from things that I would have to buy (video games and such) as we don't have the money for it. I can't use something like "going to the park" since we do that on the weekends anyway. Please help!!

beckomes1219

Asked by beckomes1219 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe a movie night that they get to pick from the library
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:02 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Let them have a night where they choose what's for dinner from whatever is in the house? Kiwi loves it. She has one night a week where I'll ask what's for dinner and she looks and decides everything.
    Let them stay up half an hour later one night (this only works if they have regular bedtimes).
    Extra tv time.
    Let them pick what you will do w/them for an hour. Kiwi likes this one too. She plans it all week and on her day, we play a lot of candy land, go fish, family, puzzles. It's all her choice for an hour.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I agree with the above posts. I let my children pick out meals, which movies we watch as well as extra play time and first dibs on picking out a toy or game to play depending on which child finish their chores first.
    Anonymous

• How about...... 1. Dinner of their choice? 2. Invite a friend over to play or have a sleepover? 3. When you go grocery shopping, they each get to choose their favorite dessert? 4. Get to choose a movie to rent(RedBox movie rentals are awesome! $1/movie) 5. Extra TV time. 6. Get to stay up 30minutes past bedtime? 6. You could have a special "treasure chest" with simple things like candy, pencils, neat stuf from the dollar store, etc. that they can pick from at the end of the week. 7. Their choice of a fun activity. Not sure how old your kids are, so obviously some of these suggestions may depend on their ages. Hope this helps.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 5:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My child will get rewarded for doing chores when I do.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• a reward chart. You get a start for each chore completed and when you have X number of starts you earn a family fun night his/ her choice. pick the movie/board game, the dinner and the dessert
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I print out a chore chart at the beginning of each month. My son is 6, so he has 6 daily chores that he has to do. I purchased a booklet of boy-ish stickers (baseballs, robots, etc.) from the dollar store, and he get's a sticker next to each chore for each day that he completes it. Then, at the end of the month, if he got stickers for ALL his chores, he get's to pick a "fun day". However, I think he's more thrilled by the stickers! :) He LOVES to see what sticker I'll put on for the completed chores! Our fun days usually aren't expensive at all, and usually involve Hiking, trips to the free kids water play geysers in our uptown area, dollar movies, etc. Good luck!
    Alyssalou22

Answer by Alyssalou22 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• We have a 'treat bucket' that I put trinkets, suckers, and indifidual snacks in and if the kids get so many stickers for the chores of the day they get to pick treat from the treat bucket or they can pick the 'stay up 15 extra minutes' reward or earn extra video game time reward. They have to get X# of stickers on their chore chart for the day before they can get a treat

For end of week rewards - what about picking a video or game rental, going out for an ice cream, pick what is for supper, have a friend over, have a sleep over, pick the game for family game night.....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2010