Is it ok for a married man to talk to other women on the phone?

My husband has found A LOT of women he knew in school since he joined facebook. My mom and other members of my family have made comments that he shouldn't be friends with so many women. I don't really mind that he has them as friends on Facebook, but it kind of irritates me when I see that he calls them on the phone. He said if it upset me, he won't talk to them anymore. I told him recently that I prefer he not talk to them on the phone. Today, I found out he had a 35minute conversation with a woman he called. I'm not afraid he will cheat, but it is necessary for him to talk to so many women?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• if he is hiding it from you or lying to you about it there is a problem
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• That would bother me too. I have alot of guy friends from high school on my FB but I don't call them.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My DH has a lot of women friends that he knew in high school. Occasionally they will talk on the phone, it really doesn't bother me. If he hid that he was talking to them I would be really upset - but open phone calls? I don't see a problem. Men and women can be friends, I have several male friends that I talk to on the phone, and there are a few I do things with without my DH. It's 100% fine with him.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I think it's very inappropriate & just sets the stage for relationships that can get out of control. A simple, "Hey, how ya doing?", on facebook is one thing, but actually talking on the phone is another. Many broken marriages began with "innocent" chats on the phone. It's impossible to have "35 min" phone conversations & not begin to develop a closeness with someone. I say it's very disrespectful to you & it's "flirting" with danger.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It all depends on the person I believe. My partner has female friends he's had for years that I don't mind one bit if he talks to. They are equally my friend as well. Otherwise, I would worry...
    ang7880

Answer by ang7880 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I'm on the Reunion committee for my high school and I talk to lots of men from my class. We end up talking about old times and telling about what we've been doing all these years. Time just flies. If it bothers you that much then just tell him to keep it on FB or at the reunions.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Personally I would have no problem with it. My hubby had/has a lot of female friends and it's natural that he talks to them on the phone, on FB, in real life, etc. But then again I'm not one of those people who think that men and women can't be "just" friends. I fully know that it is possible to be friends with a person of the opposite gender without it leading to anything sexual.

If he were hiding it then it becomes a problem, but for me talking on the phone is nothing to worry about.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• If you feel that he is taking time away from you by spending so much time on the phone with friends, then you have a right to be miffed.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 6:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Lieing and hiding it is a problem. Maybe you need to just tell him you do not like any of it. Women on facebook and talking tothem on the phone.

Answer by louise2 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• He needs to stop right now just bc you trust him does not mean the temptation isn't there. He has no business talking on the phone to other woman maybe hi how r u bye and that is it!!! I would not put up with it. If he told you he would stop you better take that chance don't be a fool and make he throws those numbers away bc if he sneaks off to make a call that is like cheating at least in my book GL I don't like FB.
    Anonymous