what makes someone "UN-American" ?

i read this term in answer on here and it got me to wondering.

America is a country that has several different nationalities in it. this country takes from every culture that is known to man. so how can something be UN-American?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 5:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• The only way someone is "Un-American"..
    Is if they are not a legal citizen of the United States of America........

If you are a legal citizen. you are an American.
    If you do not agree with everyone of the government's policies in this country and you speak out about it. You are VERY American.
    If you are willing to not only see the wrong's that this country as done, and continues to do, but you are also willing to speak out against them. And stand up and try and stop them. You are very much an American.
    If you will stand up for what you believe in, regardless if it's the status quo or not. You are very much an American.

America was founded and established through revolution. Standing up and fighting against what was perceived as "wrong" or an "injustice".
    Any citizen today who still stand up against what they view as "wrong" or an "injustice".. Is VERY much an American.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• If they were not born or raised in America.

I think people often forget that "American" is not a state of mind or a spirituality. It is purely a NATIONALITY.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I always think that term is kind of ridiculous.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Anon so my uncles mom is Un-American? She was not born or raised here but she is American! Oh yeah and she speaks spanish too!!!! Anyway Un-American is when you do not know why this country was founded. Oh and those who do not understand HOW it was made into "OUR" country!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Blessed, and what are those values? Killing innocent people? hmm I am glad to be called Un-American than!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• "...someone who doesn't ...uphold the core values & beliefs & ideals on which it was founded."

LOL!! You mean all the politicians in D.C.?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Obama and anyone like him is ,in my opinion is Unamerican
    Anonymous

• I think someone who is UNAmerican is simply just that...not an American.

I don't think that any citizen of the USA is UNAmerican no matter how they think, feel, act, etc. We have freedoms for a reason. What being an American is to me is not necessarily what it is to Joe Smo down the street...and who am I to say that he's wrong and I'm right?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Unamerican is an attitude. It seems people constantly criticize the government, foreigners,gays,religions in America all the time....they feel that there is only one way to live,one race,one nationality and everything else they don't like. They are ungrateful and don't appreciate America. They find so many things that THEY think are wrong,it makes me wonder why they don't just leave. True Americans are proud of their country and appreciate it. They accept and embrace differences and allow for them rather than discriminate.
    Anonymous

• Anon :05, why just wondering!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2010