Anyone used the BREASTFLOW bottle for stubborn breastfeeder??

HELP! I'm havin g surgery tomorrow and I will not be able to breastfeed for 24-48 hours afterward due to anesthia. My 3 month old has refused bottles so far (tried 3 different kinds). I was recently told about teh BreastFlow bottle but I want to know if any other moms had luck with it before I go buy it.
THANK!

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 5:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes I had a stubborn one too! She likes the breastflow bottles but still rather breastfeeding! I can't imagine if I had to have a procedure it getting us through. I was trying to work and she was not cooperating at all. She wasn't even what I call a natural breastfeeding baby like her sister who BTW would take bottles! I mean for us she never tool any bottle well but those breastflow ones worked the best.
    Anonymous

• With most anesthesia you can nurse as soon as you are awake. "they" say to wait 24-48 hours because they really don't want to bother looking up the information. Do you know what they are going to use? Look it up on lact-med or in dr hales "medications and mothers milk". Nealy ALL medications used during surgery are fine, though, and don't require any more waiting than the time it takes to wake up.

Baby can be cup fed while you are in surgery and you should be able to nurse right afterward, so if she won't take the cup either, no biggie. She won't starve.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• my dd refuses breastflow bottles, but she refuses ALL bottles. she will use a tommee tippee sippy cup, the trainer one that is rated for 4mos and up, and will take about an ounce out of it. Your baby might do just fine with a bottle while you are unavailable though, I have heard so many times from other nursing mothers that their babies will take a bottle from someone else if they can't see or hear mom. And like the pp said, your daughter will not starve herself. She might refuse at first but will give in when she's hungry and figures out that the bottle really is a food source.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• my ds hates the breastflow bottle i got him. he is exclusively breastfed but when i need to give him a bottle he'll only use the NUK bottles.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Here;s the trick..YOU need to be GONE.

So baby will likely take the bottle while you're in surgery. Post surgery, you can nurse as soon as you're awake. 24-48 hours is NOT needed.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2010