How old was your child when you got him or her a bicylce helmet?

My son is 2 and has a tricycle that he rides around the yard. Today at school they had bike day and he was upset becuase he doesn't have a helmet. It never occured to me to get a helmet for a tricycle. Do most kids use a helmet at that age?

maxswolfsuit

Asked by maxswolfsuit at 5:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• i started when he started riding his tric so there wouldnt be a problem later on when he really needed it. kids get into habits and dont want to break them
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 5:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I don't think there are helmets sold at (at least) regular stores for any kid less than 3 years
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:33 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My son had a helmet at 1, because my dad would ride him around on a bike in a kid seat on the seat of it.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• We got our kids bike helmets around 10 months of age when they started to ride on the back of dh's bike. They do make little helmets. We got ours at Dicks Sporting Goods I believe. We figured it just instilled upon them to always be wearing them on a bike when you start little. Now they are 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 and it is just routine to put on a helmet and then get on your bike. We also did that because in our state children under 12 must wear a helmet so we wanted it to be drilled into their brain and not fight it when they are older.
    Anonymous

• None of the stores where I live sell helmets for kids under 3, so I would have to special order a helmet from an online dealer. If you can find a helmet that fits and your child thinks it's cool, then now would be a great time to start making it a habit.
    Anonymous

• Hmmm.....never. Seriously. My children are older and they never had one.
    Anonymous

• go to a bicycle store - they have all sorts, or should be able to get them in within a week - we had helmets from 10 mnths -as soon as they could go on the baby seat on my bike. Ours has a little dial at the back of the head to adjust the fit of the helmet. It is definitely worth getting one-even if it needs to be specially ordered- if they aren't common -here is a link to one sale on ebay australia - there are heaps

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Child-Baby-Kid-Safety-Helmet-AustralianStandard-HM15YGP-/170481594488?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Accessories&hash=item27b17eb078

myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• ps it is illegal to have a child on a bike/trike on a public area without a helmet here is australia, so these sorts of item,s are widely available here - they do turn a blind eye to little kids on his first trike, but if your little guy actually wants one, I'd be encouraging it. The footpath is not necessarily danger free
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• As soon as they were riding outside. In our state, if they are on a public road and under 16, they must have a helmet on . State Law.
    Anonymous