Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am wondering if my son would qualify for disability beings that he has absence seizures?

I have a 5 yr old son that was diagnosed a couple years ago with epilepsy, and I've had alot of people tell me that he would qualify for disability but I wasn't sure and not really sure how to go about it either, If anyone has a child with epilepsy and nows what I need to do or even if anyone has any advise please. I would love to hear it.

Answer Question

Asked by khourie6 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 2 (12 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • You may qualify for benefits to pay for medical treatments if your insurance won't cover it. If you or your SO are losing pay due to having to miss work,you may qualify for monetary benefits. they take your income into consideration.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • Contact your local Board of MR/DD

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • I'd call SSI or check their website and see

    Answer by admckenzie at 5:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • If you don't have Health Insurance the government will provide Medicaid for your child.
    If you are considered a low-income family the government will give you SSI

    People have the idea that having a child with a disability implies getting all the services/treatments/therapy/medications/evaluations automatically at no cost. This is not the truth.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • my BIL gets SSI for it .... he always has and he is now over 40 and still on it ( even though he hasnt had a seizure in over 15 years)

    Answer by glamomomo at 6:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • Yes - call the social security office and ask them how to file for SSI. IF you meet the income/asset qualifications, then he will get a monthly check. The income guidelines are somewhat liberal, but the asset guidelines are not - many families with 2 cars won't qualify because they would be considered over the limit (one car is "allowed" but the 2nd car goes against your asset limit, which is really low!).

    Answer by missanc at 8:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

  • The ONLY person who can tell you if you qualify is the Social Security Administration, NO ONE on this site can tell you either way. Each situation is different and there are MANY guidelines that have to be followed. If you want to know, make an appointment with a Social Security Administration personnel.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • In order for your son to qualify, his disability would have to be affecting his daily functioning ability to the point where he required assistance with daily activities and (probably) your ability to work due to caring for him. There are also fairly strict income limitations most of the time.

    On the other hand, while getting SSI is difficult, your son may be able to qualify for Medicaid due to his medical conditions. While you won't get a monthly check, medicaid can help cover the costs of specialists and therapy.

    Answer by DDDaysh at 1:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.