Why do parents allow their children to do these things at such young ages?

Just curious, I'm not bashing. I don't think I could do it. I'm referring to letting your child do things like sail around the world at 16, climb mount everest at 13, fly around the world at 7. Seems a little bit too much to me. Right now the 16 year old girl who was sailing around the world alone is feared missing at sea because she went through some storms yesterday and lost contact with everyone, and her emergency beacons were activated. This same family allowed their 17 year old son to sail around the world alone too. At the bottom of the article, it mentions the 13 year old boy who climbed Mount Everest and the 7 year old girl and her father and flight instructor who were killed while she attempted to fly around the world. Do these people really have the best interest of the kid in mind, or are they looking for fame? Opinions? Articles posted below.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 6:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I completely agree with you!  I remember seeing the story about the 16 year old girl who sailed ALONE around the world on the news.  I said to my husband how impressed I was with the young lady but I would NEVER EVER let my girls do that.  The dangers are immense and the odds against her survival were very very high.   Yes she did it but what were her parents thinking?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I saw the news about the 16 yr old sailor and that was my first thought too....What were those parents thinking?!?!?!?! This is adventerous stuff but it comes with respecting and knowing that its dangerous.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I asked myself the same question. I think going out to sea alone is wreckless and scary at any age much less a teenager. At sixteen I wouldn't have known what to do in a crisis. I don't think any would. I don't get people who let their kids jump out of planes at 12-16 either. A lot can happen. Have them wait until they're old enough to handle a crisis or realize exactly how dangerous it is.
    Anonymous

• Totally looking for fame. That is definitely not responsible parenting.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I don't see any issue with it. It comes down to knowing your children and knowing yourself. While their ARE risks with stuff like this, there is more risk that they will be harmed in a car accident on their way to school or church than there is that they will meet with harm doing some of these things. In most cases they are surrounded by guides, cameras and any number of other experts watching their every move. Plus, none of us know what tomorrow will bring, you don't always know you will get a chance to do this stuff later in life.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Like her mom said...."Could there be a tragedy?" MaryAnne Sunderland told ABC News. "Yeah, there could be. But there could be a tragedy on the way home tonight, you know, or driving with her friends in a car at 16."

It's not like they gave her a boat one day and told her to jump in. She knew what she was doing to the best she could and had access to a satelite phone and some internet to check in.

That said...I could never let my child do that, but for my own selfish reasons. I would be a complete wreck wondering if my daughter was okay, and probably on a heavy dose of anti-anxiety pills!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I'd never let my kid do any of that shit...I honestly think it's fucked up.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 11:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2010