What do you do when your kids repeatedly disobey you, even with consistent time outs?

I am beginning to think that time outs are NOT for us. My kids just do whatever they want, things that they know will put them in time out. They hate going to time outs, but as soon as its over, give them 5 mins and they are back doing what they just went to time out for. I am about to pull my hair out. Some one pls help me. I am an avid watcher of SUper nanny so I know exactly how to enforce time outs and I do CONSISTENTLY everytime. I am just ready to give up.

I tell my kids to stay in bed because its nap time. They are 2 and 3. I dont care if they dont nap. They still need their quiet time. I do too: and they repeatedly come out of their rooms and go outside to play. Its not play time yet. They will have that later. But they dont get that. I put them in time out, back in their beds, and 5 minutes later they are back outside. I tell them dont open the door, but they do not listen. They still open it. Any advice, pls...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd is the same way....seriously...i'm at my wits end too. Yesterday I just had a total meltdown and just balled...and because i'm pregnant, when I get that upset I throw up....I physically get ill.
    Anonymous

• Put a lock high up on the door so that can't get out. If they are napping in the same room, bring a chair in and sit and read a book until they fall asleep. Or try putting them in seperate rooms to nap.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• They each have their own rooms. I admit I dont read a book during naptimes, we just sing songs and then I have to go study. Im taking classes online right now. But I am going to have my DH install those locks. Thanks!
    Anonymous

• As for the naps, a wise friend once told me to just give them up. If the kids won't nap, trying to get them to nap or stay in their room for "quiet" time just doesn't work and just creates more stress for you. A good way to get a break for yourself and some quiet time, put on a movie they like or a DVD that plays one episode after another. You can get a lock for the door or get those safety knob things that go over the door knob that prevent young kids from opening the door. As for them doing things that get them a time-out, pick your battles. Sometimes it's just not worth the fight.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 6:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• You want them to take short naps because it gives you time to relax or take care of other things. I would recommend taking them out to the park, shopping or anything that tires them out. The fresh air does a world of good for children. I found that staying at home with them all day long is tiring. A time out is only good if your child is old enough to understand fully what they've done wrong.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• my kids never took naps unless they were absolutely exhausted. I had those plastic handles on all the door handles that would just turn in a circle when they grabbed it and eye and hook locks high up on the door to outside. then to reinforce the doorway to their room I had a baby gate .. and if the baby gate was in the doorway to their room it meant it was time to lay down for bed. In the middle of the day since mine disliked naps.. I would give them a choice of a book to "read" just like mine or to sleep. I went through a few board books but still have some of my sanity left for the day. they got used to the schedule like this and it was a good break for me.Good luck I hope you find the solution for your family . I had 3 in diapers at the same time this all happened and I've been there.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• i have a two yr old son who sometimes takes naps and some days does not. he goes in his room which his door is blocked by doulbe gates and he stays in there till nap time is over he is not aloud out of bed, and i have a camera on him so i always know what is going on. he always on the day when he wont nap falls asleep 20 min before nap time is over but i wake him up at our scheduled time and go on with the day. i also have almost 3 month old twin boys so schedules for me are the most imporant .
    mommyx3sotired

Answer by mommyx3sotired at 10:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Oh I understand your frustration. My daughter is like that too. she is 2.5. I need my quiet time so I understand and she wont take a nap either. the only way she naps is if I tire her out. If we are in the house all day she will stay up and just go to to bed early. so I try to take her out everyday. I find free activities to do in the area. If the weather is nice I take her to the park and let her ride her bike and play on the slides. If its raining I take her to McDonalds or Burger King and let her play on the playscape thats inside. Ive even taking her to the mall and let her walk around with me. I take the stroller but I let her walk until she gets tired, then we leave right after. it works everytime.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:46 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Oh but to answer the rest of your question as far as the disobedience it sounds to me like they are feeding off of each other. I am very stern with my daughter looking her straight in the face and saying absolutely not. When we are home and dont go out I let her have quiet time by resting on the couch and watching an episode of Dora or SuperWhy. She knows if she gets off the couch it goes off. I dont make her necessarily nap or have quiet time in the room. She can sit in the living room me but she has to be quiet or she is going to the room with no TV and thats her motivation. When I tell her to do something and she doesnt or talks back its automatic consequence. End of story. No asking twice or repeating myself. I told my daughter to stop throwing things off the patio, she didnt so patio playtime was over. Immediately fo that day. The next time she went out I didnt even have to say it because she knows now.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• show them whos boss and seperate try count ing to five.. what works for my daughter is counting to five, she got
    KYMOMMY2007

Answer by KYMOMMY2007 at 1:04 AM on Jun. 11, 2010