When should i keep my baby up during the day?

she is 6 weeks old

kc_mom_64118

Asked by kc_mom_64118 at 6:23 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At that age, I let them sleep whenever they sleep. Too young to really get on a routine at that point.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• do not keep a baby that young awake, it's actually counter productive to getting them to sleep well at night. One thing you can do to help them learn the difference between night and day is to keep all the lights and noise going during the day (within reason of course) and in the evening around the time you would like baby to start going down for the night, turn the lights down and keep the noise level low.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• another thing you can do around the time that you want bedtime to be you should start a routine. Not an elaborate one, but lights low, nurse or bottle and then to bed. I wouldn't worry about keeping them awake during the day until they are ready for it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:51 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• After nursing, I always let mine stay up as long as they wanted and then when they got fussy/tired I put them down for a nap. Except at night I put them in their crib awake but right after nursing. I think keeping them awake when they are tired is counterproductive to getting them to sleep at night.

Answer by missanc at 7:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• What? Why on earth would you keep your baby awake. Newborns sleep on average 21 hrs a day. Thats so wrong that you would even think about that.
    Anonymous