Food for traveling. No ice chest

This weekend we are taking a 4hr drive to see family & have a mini vacation over the weekend. I have a 3yo that loves snacking & I want to go prepared & dont want her to eat them out of house & home (we are staying at a friends place). What are some good snacks to pack that wont require a ice chest but are healthy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• dried fruits, cereal, graham crackers, trail mix, those fruit cups that you buy pre-packaged are no refrigeration needed
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 6:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• sun chips, dried fruits, fruits sorry thats all i can come up with right now.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Pretzels, fruit (bananas, apples, grapes, berries, pears, oranges, peaches), canned fruit, pb&j sandwiches, bottled water/ juice, crackers. I would invest in the ice chest though, even if it is a $2 convenience store styrofoam one.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 6:48 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• PB crackers, graham crackers, bananas, the little 'buddy fruits' from publix (if you have one)

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• peanut butter w/bread requires no refrigeration. fresh fruit will keep for a few days. Any type of dried fruit or dried veggies. nuts & seeds (eg..sunflower seeds or walnuts). whole grain crackers or graham snacks. bottled water, capri suns or the like for drinks. when we traveled when i was small, my mom would make special homemade donuts or cupcakes that didn't need refrigeration.
    Anonymous

• Even with out an ice chest you can freeze some caprisons the night before and use them to keep them food cool and the drinks cold in a bag then you could do things like boiled eggs and cheese which are good a few hours at room temperature but with the cold/frozen drinks it will help. DOnt freeze all the drinks though! They thaw slower than you would think.
    Anonymous

• oops ^^^ that's me I dunno why it was anon...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• If you freeze yogurt squeeze packages theyll be thawed about the time you get there and will stay good. My son takes them in his lunch sometimes and they are thawed around lunch time.
    Anonymous

• I like to freeze a few juice boxes and use them as "ice packs" that way they'll thaw out and can be used up and you're not wasting a lot of space on things that can't be consumed. Just make sure to have some that are not frozen because they don't thaw as quickly as you'd think!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• If you want cold drinks you can always buy a large freezer bag and place an ice pack or two in it. We used one for a long road trip so we'd have foods for lunch and dinner and not have to stop to eat and high priced places. You can fin them at Wal Mart, Target and most grocery stores. It's a large insulated bag.
    Anonymous