San Diego questions please help!

I would post this in Travel but no one ever answers there :)
Any moms from San Diego or who have traveled there?
I need recommendations on hotels, please let me know where is good (economy pricing pref less than $150 a night). Also let me know places that are gross to avoid! Are there any attractions that we should take a family detour for besides Legoland, Sea World and the zoo? Any info would help! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Legoland is in Carlsbad, which is a little bit of a hike from San Diego. We stayed at the Sheraton at Legoland, which was nice but overpriced. We've stayed at some hotels in San Diego and they're all pretty expensive and not that nice. We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Old Town, and it was GROSS. We live in Las Vegas and go to CA about once a month. Our favorite routine is to leave really early and get to the Wild Animal Park in Escondido (part of San Diego Zoo, but about half an hour away) right when it opens. That place is awesome and I like it better than the zoo. Lorikeet Landing is our favorite spot, where the kids can get nectar and the birds will land all over them. We stay there for a few hours and then head up to Buena Park. We stay at the Courtyard Marriott there, which is clean and nice. It's about half a mile from Knott's Berry Farm (Camp Snoopy!) so we walk there.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• We spend the rest of that day at Knott's, which is really fun for pretty much any age of kids from 3 to teenagers. We walk back to the hotel and have dinner at Claim Jumper on the way back. We go back to Knott's the next day and by 5 pm our kids are completely wiped out. We stop by Portillos on the way through for the best burgers EVER, and drive back that night. We have yearly passes to both the zoo/wild animal park, and to Knott's because those are the things we really love doing. After going to Knott's, I don't think I would go back to Legoland. It's neat, but not our favorite.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Thats good to know! Thank you! Any advice info is awesome. Thanks for the details! Is it a good idea to stay at different hotels if one day you're doing Knott's one Sea World, One Legoland etc?
    Anonymous

• Which hotels were expensive but not that nice? Its so hard to tell from the websites they are deceiving!!
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I lived in San Diego so I can't really make any hotel recommendations. I would recommend visiting Old Town and Balboa Park...lots of museums, some free and at the park there are usually a lot of festivals and things going on in the summer. The gaslamp district in downtown is fun as well as Seaport Village which is also downtown but by the bay. La Jolla Cove and beach are also very pretty places to visit.

If you're going to head up to any of the parks in Orange County/LA, it takes a couple hours from San Diego, so if you don't want to do a lot of driving, you may want to consider spending a couple nights in Orange County.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 7:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Pretty much all the hotels in San Diego are overpriced for what they are, and they all add on extra fees like $25 for parking or for a "resort fee". Sheraton in Carlsbad did that and called it a resort fee. It included parking and internet, regardless if you used the internet or not. Pretty much all hotels in San Diego are like that. I really prefer to drive 20 minutes or so outside of San Diego and stay somewhere nicer for less money. We have stayed at different places when we stayed for 3 or 4 nights, although it was sort of a pain with two little kids. It depends on how much you want to drive in between. I pulled up Mapquest and put a dot on the map for every place I was interested in seeing to decide where I wanted to stay and if it was worth it to change hotels. You can look on the Priceline website for some reviews of different hotels you are considering. They rate on things like cleanliness, service, etc.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2010