Is it considered littering if you toss a banana peel out your car window?

My sister did that today and I told her she was littering. She says it's not littering because it's biodegradable and it's like free compost. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i agree with your sister.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It is littering! I read somewhere that the only things not considered litter are clean water (like emptying out a water bottle) and chicken feathers, since they can't really be controlled. I think it was an article about someone who got a ticket for tossing a cigarette butt out the car window and a cop saw him.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I've thrown out banana peels & apple cores, I figure an animal will get a nice snack
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 7:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Banana peels, apple cores, orange peels, and the like, while they may be organic, they are not attractive when they just lay and rot. Just throw them away when you get home. If you compost, put them there. Don't throw them out the window just because they are biodegradable.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It's littering, plain and simple. Tell her to do it right in front of a cop and then she can tell the judge she wasn't littering.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• and yes i agree with jesse. If she threw it in the woods thats nice..but if she threw it on a side walk that would be very ugly and rude
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I think it was an article about someone who got a ticket for tossing a cigarette butt out the car window and a cop saw him.

Cigarettes are different though because they are considered burning material which can start fires. There are usually heftier fines for that than for other forms of littering.
    Anonymous

• Do you know how long it will take for that banana peel to disappear and do you realize how ugly a banana peel is when it is lying in the road or on the side of a road???? I see people tossing crap out of their cars all over the place and theyare littering and defacing the natural beauty that should be preserved.. In parking lots,people drop dirty diapers, old bags of McDonald's leftovers, etc. and by the sides of the roads, the cardboard boxes that hold beer, plastic bags,dog poop that nobody wants to pick up, and cigarette butts...it makes me sick! Lazy and irresponsible people.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• OMG!!!I used to think like you bc I once saw a lady do this in the middle of the street at a light and yes I thought Hmmm she is littering but then I thought the birds would eat it anyway as if they were picking it up so no not littering it is biodegradable....lol
    Anonymous

• Throwing food out the window is NEVER a good idea. Think about all the animals that have been killed because they are either crossing the road to get to the food in the ditch, or eating it off the road. Just a thought:)
    Anonymous