How to tame my monster!!!

OK my 5 year old is having some serious behavior issues at swim class. He is fine at Sunday school, fine at home and then we started this swim class and in it hes a monster! Help!
This year they are forcing the parents to sit all the way across the way so that we won't "interfere" with class but I can still see/sorta hear whats going on. He acts up and they do nothing. Today he shoved a kid and they did nothing. Yesterday a boy shoved my son under water and they said nothing. I really don't know what to do! I'm getting worried because school starts soon and what if he acts like this for his teacher. I'm not happy with the class they said 4-1 teacher ration and its been 6-1 and the teacher is no more than 16. I can't get a refund though. Last year at the same place there were two kids, the teacher was in college and it was great. No problems at all. Anyway has anyone had this problem? How do I get him to listen to his (con)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• (con) teacher, respect the rules and be nice to the other kids? He said he pushed the kid because the kid said he was going to push him in the water and he got scared. Since I'm sitting far away Idk if this is true or not and really there is no excuse for pushing especially near a pool. What should I do? Any advice. Nice advice please NO bashing
    Anonymous

• My DD is also taking swim lessons right now. We don't have to sit away from the kids, but I try not to interfere while she is in the pool, because she needs to respect the instructors authority in the pool. The only thing I have done was make her get out of the pool at one point and sit on the side until it was her turn. If wasn't going to do what she was told (they had been told to sit on the wall, which is in the water) then I would make her stay out of the water. She settled down and sat while the other kids continued to play around her. I'm not sure what I would do in your situation, other than to make my child sit at the side until it's her turn. Or make her have a time-out sitting next to me while the class continues without her.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 7:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• This sounds like the scenario in my son's swim class. Are you in SoCal by any chance?
    Anonymous

• Im in Texas anon! Yeah I ended up giving him a time out and talking to after class which seemed pointless almost an hour later. I wish they would make the kids sit out. Not only am I concerned because the kids are all acting crazy I'm concerned about safety! The teacher turned his back on the entire class to answer a question his boss asked. Eeek six kids under 6 in a pool and you turned your back?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I had the same problem with the kids in our class (including DD) that's why I made her sit out of the pool to wait instead of in the water. I would think the teacher would appreciate you trying to get your child to follow instructions (don't know if you could step in with other kids). I would definitely intervene if my child wasn't paying attention and doing something they aren't supposed to. Maybe mention to somebody higher on the chain of command that maybe she needs another lifeguard to assist in the class.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 12:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• The problem is not with your son's behavior it is with the class size and structure. You need to go to who ever is in charge and express your concerns that the teacher does not have control of the class and the class is too large for safety. Demand they get a second instructor or refund your money for safety reasons. Pushing and shoving is totally unacceptable in and around water.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 9:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Usually when boys act out there is a reason. My son was the same way. In my son's case, he was being bullied by a kid in his class. And other times he just wanted attention from the teacher. Best thing to do is talk to him about it. Ask him why. You might be surprised by what he says.
    mateom

Answer by mateom at 4:31 AM on Jun. 13, 2010