tips on potty training

We are getting ready to potty train, she flat out refuses to use the potty, in fact she gets really flustered when you ask her if she wants to use it.

kell430

Asked by kell430 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried giving her treats to use the potty. Like we used tootsie rolls.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I don't ask my LO. I tell her that we are going to the potty otherwise she will refuse. I used a kitchen timer and I would set it for 20 min and then she knew it was time to go potty. I would set it for 5 min and when it was done she could go play again. Everyday I would increase the amount of time that would be between potty visits by 5 min until I figured out what my LO's cues were when she had to go. Mine actually starts to throw a tantrum when she has to go potty. We are on week 3 and have very little to no accidents. I highly recommend using panties or training pants and not using pull ups. They have to be able to detect when they are wet and dry and pull ups don't allow that. I also periodically ask my LO if she is dry and by the way that she says dry I know whether she has had an accident. Potty training takes a lot of strict consistency and if you can hang on for 2 weeks the rest will fall into place.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2010