Hubby wants to make a meal for my Grandparents

What is something easy, yet impressive he could make? I can cook just about anything, he isn't as gifted in the culinary area lol They will be here in a week and a half so whatever it is I will make with him once before they come. They love any foods, they aren't picky at all, just used to higher class cooking. They are the kind of people that you feel the need to impress although they'd love you either way.

Any ideas/recipes would be amazing! Thank you in advance!!

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 7:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I'd consider a shepherds pie. Simple, rustic, comforting and surely something Grandparents can appreciate. Buy (Or make!!!!) a piping bag and have him do some practice runs..... mashed potatoes piped on top look so elegant and it's an amazing high class touch to a chef in training type dish
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:49 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My husband rarely cooks but one time he wanted to try and make something for us. He made lasagna for the first time and it was soooooooo good! ;) I think that would be great with maybe a salad and some garlic toast to serve to your family(and red wine if you all drink it). Have fun and enjoy the visit. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My favorite company meal is chicken Parmesan with twice baked potatoes or au gratin potatoes. Always a hit.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Manicotti is my go-to when I need something a little fancier but still easy. Here's a great recipe:

1 (8 ounce) package manicotti shells
    4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
    2 cups ricotta cheese
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons dried basil
    2 (26 ounce) jars pasta sauce (make sure you get a good quality sauce)

1.Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add manicotti and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
    2.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
    3.In a bowl, mix 3 cups mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, garlic, egg, and basil. Stuff cooked manicotti with the mixture.
    4.Spread about 2 cups pasta sauce over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange stuffed manicotti in the dish, and cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:00 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan, and continue baking 10 minutes, until mozzarella is melted and bubbly.

Meanwhile cut in half (lengthwise) a loaf of very fresh French bread. Toast at 400 tli it's crusty and browned on top. Cut 2 cloves of garlic in half and peel. Rub the toasted part of the bread generously with fresh garlic. The garlic will wear down, you'll probably use about 1 clove per bread half.

Serve with this salad:

6 cups mixed spring greens
    1/4 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 cup candied walnuts (you can buy them already candied)
    balsamic vinagrette on the side

It's a big hit in our house, and super easy.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Something classy, healthy and easy is Fish "en pappilote" (aka fish in a parchment paper or tin foil tent")
    * 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
    * 1 shallot, thinly sliced
    * 1 tablespoon butter, chopped
    * 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
    * 1 lemon slice, halved, plus 2 tspsh lemon juice
    * coarse salt and ground pepper
    * 1 skinless salmon fillet (6 to 8 ounces)
    1. Preheat oven to 350. Fold a large piece of parchment paper (about 15 by 16 inches) in half to crease it; open, and lay it flat.
    2. On one side of crease, mound zucchin, shallot, butter, dill, and lemon slices. Top w/ Salmon; drizzle with lemon juice, and season w/ Salt &P
    3. To close, fold parchment over salmon; make small overlapping pleats to seal the open sides and create a halfmoon-shaped packet. bake in pie plate 15-17 mins.
    Cut open at the table to entice your diners with the sights and smells!
    CinnamonScallop

Answer by CinnamonScallop at 9:22 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I love doing individual cornish hens. Easy at pie too. Just stuff, roast in the over, and keep an eye on them.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I think baked ziti is really easy to cook but looks impressive. You just boil the noodles, cook some hamburger, pour in some tomato sauce from a jar, mix it all up in a casserole and put slices of mozzarella on top, then let it brown in the oven. It's simple and soooo good. I want some right now lol
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I have to agree with Butterflysky with baked ziti.  I found this video.  Looks good. eating

Anonymous

• I'd stick with healthy foods like a stir fry, baked fish (with a great sauce) or summer salad with whole grain bread. Men are usually good with grilling. Grill some meat with veggie kabobs. Just have fun. I'm sure they care more about being with you and your family and less about the food.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2010