Is it really cheaper to sew your own clothes? For example, jeans, shirts, dresses/skirts etc....even if you are plus sized? Anyone make most of thier clothing?

I've always wondered this. In addition, what about sewing baby/toddler/children's clothing? Anyone do it?
I want to stay fashionable as well! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• It usually isn't cheaper unless you shop discount materials. :-) But you do it for fun.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Is it cheaper than going to a big name brand departments store? Sure!
    Is it cheaper than shopping WalMart or Target? Maybe
    Is it cheaper than shopping Gabes or a Thrift store? In most cases no...

So it depends on what you like... Although in most cases if you are all about the labels, you won't be willing to wear DIY clothes anyways.!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:37 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I'm a walmart shopper ! lol I don't care about labels....but I do like patterns to be a little stylish...
    Problem is, is everytime I go to thrift stores and yard sales they usually don't have my plus size.
    Anonymous

• If you are really good a sewing cloths. It would be cheaper to make your own cloths.

Answer by louise2 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Well, it depends on where you buy your fabric. Ready made clothing has gotten so much more affordable, & fabric alone can cost more than the ready made item...then add zippers, buttons, elastic, stabilizers, thread, trims, it can get very expensive.

However, if you have good places to shop for those items, it can be very affordable, & you can learn to sew items that fit you better than ready made clothing, you also aren't just stuck with whatever they have in your size.

When I lived in Wyoming the only place for more affordable fabrics was Wal-Mart, & it was difficult to find what I wanted to sew my own clothing. Now that I'm in Los Angeles, with the garment district right here there are plenty of sources for affordable garment fabrics, trims, zippers, etc, & it makes sewing much more affordable, & more fun because of the selection. Get to know other sewers in your area & they can steer you toward the local deals. Have fun!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I repurpose clothing I have worn out (like t-shirts into long sleeve mock layer etc) into stuff for my kids and that is free material so it only take my time, but the material cost is what will make sewing your own not necessarily cheaper. You can edit the patterns to fit you exactly though and that is a plus.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Are you for real? I don't have that kind of spare time!
    Anonymous

• Have you seen the price of good fabric?
    I make my kids Halloween costumes and the year I made 2 dresses I spent about $50 on their costumes and that was sale fabric. I could have bought something much cheaper.
    The fabric I bought for a witch costume a few years later was even more expensive.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2010