can I do it?! or is she going to be too young?

so i want to get my dd out of diapers asap.and my dh and i were planning on potty training her 1 month after her 1st bday. my sil started potty training my 1yr old neice but the has kind of stopped due to her having her new baby. so I was wondering if 1 is too young, and if its possible?
p.s.
she will be 1 in sept

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 7:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are several books out there about infant potty training, and one of my friends did this with her son. She said that the first window of opportunity is around 7 months. *shrug* I guess it worked for her as she was a SAHM and had time to do it. She had her son pretty much potty trained by the time he was 18 months old.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I think as long as she is showing signs of being ready, then it is not to early...but if she has no interest, you are going to make it very hard and stressful on yourself.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 7:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• sometimes if they're potty trained too early they revert back to diapers and have to be potty trained all over again. I say do what you want, but my SIL did it with my niece when she was 1 and it's taken her 1 1/2 years to potty train fully lol
    Anonymous

• well she loves it already and she isnt even walking..she crawls to the bath tub all the time
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I don't think this is a bad time to introduce the potty and let her ease into it. But as pp said be aware that she may regress.

I would wait untill she is walking though
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• You can't force a kid to train. If she's not ready, all you'll end up with a mess and a headache. And if she ends up holding it in, she'll get sick.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I don't think that will be a problem with it as long as you are consistent with taking her. We are one of the only countries that wait until the children "tell" they are ready. In many countries around the world they start training when they are 4-8 weeks old.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Coala, how do you potty train someone that has no control over their bladder? A child literally cannot control those muscles until after they start walking.
    Anonymous

• Look up elimination communication. It's never too late to start, and you'll just be going off her cues and showing her the proper place to eliminate. It might take a while, but there's no harm in it.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 9:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I don't think you should potty "train" because that would involve coercian of your one-year-old. But, I think you can totally look up elimination communication and put it into practice with her. Just start noticing her potty cues and taking her to the potty when she needs to go and give her a sound/hand signal/word she can use to signal you. But I don't think getting upset, scolding her, or even using "positive reinforcement" to try and get her to be completely trained is wise. We've done EC since 4 months old and love it. Now dd is 20-months and 100% poop in potty, but she still has pee "misses" so be prepared for that and don't get upset. I suggest getting some cloth diapers, or what we use, cloth "pull-up" type pants so she will be more aware of when she goes. She was actually drier (100%) more when she was in arms, so you could benefit sooner, but while running about and playing sometimes she forgets.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 10, 2010